Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Gymnastic with bad lower back

Edoardo Roberto Cagnola

Edoardo Roberto Cagnola

I didn't know where to post this,so... I have a discopathy in my lumbar region (basically it's like an inflammation of the disks - that's what my doc says), that it's caused by bad sitting habits and improper lifting (squatting) technique. I switched to bw training (I just can do the basics) and my back has improved a lot. Is there anybody that is doing F1 with lower back problems?

Marios Roussos

I had a history of major lower back problems from competitive rowing in university (overuse with very poor mobility, posture, and sitting patterns). After a year of haphazard GST, mostly in the form of front lever work, planche progressions and single leg squats, my back pain improved dramatically, but it has never felt as bulletproof as after starting F1. There are many elements in the series that I suspect help dramatically, ones that easily come to mind would be the FL mobility elements, sPL mobility elements, and arch body holds.

• Upvote 1

Edoardo Roberto Cagnola

Thanks MR for the reply! That's exactly what I was hoping to hear :)

I don't own F1 but many of the exercises in F series I am working towards or have achieved.  I have seriously injured my lumbar spine squatting and dead lifting heavy weights over the course of years, and sitting for hours on end...three herniated discs and sacroiliac injuries.  L sits and bridging over the course of a year or two will, contrary to popular belief, actually heal, strengthen and lengthen the vertebral discs, this has been my experience.   All other mobility work is important as well especially the shoulders for complicated reasons.  

Planche work is great for strengthening the lower back while not compressing it as well as exercises like straddle L press to handstand. Flags and SLS will reveal imbalances which for someone who has been squatting and dead lifting will exist inevitably.

I am more or less pain free so  F1 I imagine will be the best thing you ever do for your back, however depending on your condition take it slow and be gentle for the first 6 months to a year.

Good luck

Edited by ASNB

Edoardo Roberto Cagnola

L sits and bridging over the course of a year or two will, contrary to popular belief, actually heal, strengthen and lengthen the vertebral discs, this has been my experience.

That's really true! Bridging can really do wonder for your back, and so can the L-sit

I didn't know where to post this,so... I have a discopathy in my lumbar region (basically it's like an inflammation of the disks - that's what my doc says), that it's caused by bad sitting habits and improper lifting (squatting) technique. I switched to bw training (I just can do the basics) and my back has improved a lot. Is there anybody that is doing F1 with lower back problems?

Can you say me did you do some special exercises for lower back or yust basic becose I have the same problem becose of dead lifts and now I am in bw for olmost half a year  and there is no movement in my lower back because I feel the same pain as the very beginning

Joshua Slocum

The methodology of F1 is to systematically identify weaknesses in strength and mobility, and eliminate them, starting with the easiest things first. This makes it conducive to strengthening and rehabilitating "problem areas" - the series is designed to take weaknesses and transform them into strengths. 

However, if you have an existing injury you should go see someone trained in sports medicine, and get them to clear the exercises in F1 before proceeding. F1 is gentle, but there are some injuries for which even F1 is too intense. 

• Upvote 1

Edoardo Roberto Cagnola

Can you say me did you do some special exercises for lower back or yust basic becose I have the same problem becose of dead lifts and now I am in bw for olmost half a year and there is no movement in my lower back because I feel the same pain as the very beginning

In the beginning I was like you, stuck with this pain for months. Than I got checked from a doc and for a month or so I back off from any kind of strength training. What I did during that time was basically just a few exercises that the pt suggested me. I focused on hamstring flexibility (if you dead ift a lot there's a good chance that they are very tight) and hip mobility. Than I did some beginner bridges (hold the position for time), some pelvic tilt on the floor, some supermans and planks. Just make sure that everything you do is painless. Some discomfort is normal though. But remember that I'm not a doctor, so make sure to get checked asap (also because the re-hab could be different if you have an hernieted disk, an inflammation of the disk, some SI joint problems or just some imbalances that causes you to have an APT ). I did this 3 times a day (it should take you 15 minutes or less). This way you get the blood flowing and you prevent your core from gettin weaker. Again, I'm not an expert by any means, it's just what I found worked for me. When you start to feel better you can implement some basic bw exercises, but rebuild slowly into that. Your body needs time to heal that kind of shit! Hope this helps

PS: I also did the Cat to camel and bird-dog exercises. That are really really good imo for this kind of issues

Edited by EdStand