Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Flaring out elbows

Dies Irae

Are you forced to flare out your elbows when doing single bar dips?

I ask because it is bad form to flare out the elbows in regular pushups/dips/rows/pullups/etc. but in the case of single bar dips i don't know if it can be avoided.

It seems you also flare them out in PB and XR Bulgarian HSPU's.

Edited by Dies Irae

GoldenEagle

I don't let my elbow flare out to the side when I do single bar dips. It is tougher on the elbows and one has to take the eccentric phase slower.

It isn't considered improper form if the elbows flare out to the side.

There is some carry over to strict bar muscle ups if elbows aren't allowed to flare out to the side.

Oh. That was my concern, because I can do them flaring a little, I think. I would have to film myself.

How much of a difference will it make if you do them flaring out?

I have seen pictures of them and I think they all do them flaring out, I'm not sure I have seen someone doing them straight.

GoldenEagle

The difference lays in the development of A) the elbow tendons (Ulnar Collateral Ligament), and B) the triceps. 

The eccentric phases is slower.

• 8 months later...

I do straight bar dips with a supinated grip (i.e. palms facing forwards) and in this way my elbows don't flare out at all. In a pronated grip (i.e. palms facing back) they flare out. I found this out by chance because I do them on a low doorway chin-up bar and this was the only way I could avoid having my forearms flare out and touching the door frame.

• Upvote 1

GoldenEagle

With an over grip, to keep your elbows from flaring out to the sides, rotate your upper arm within your shoulder joint so that your elbows are point backward.

Take the eccentric phase slowly and keep your elbows close to your sides.

• 4 weeks later...
blazeoneying

how about flaring out of elbows for all other excercises like pushups or handstands? is it proper form and what difference of muscles group are use?

Coach Sommer

The flaring elbows issue resolves itself naturally as you progress on to more difficult variations.  For example, try flaring the elbows on a free standing HSPU.  ;)

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Farid Mirkhani

But Coach, does it bring good strength of any use by doing flared elbows on some of the exercises or should you have your elbows in all the time?

I've always done my pushing with my elbows in. Wondering if I'm missing any strength aspects by not doing flared at all.

Coach Sommer

But Coach, does it bring good strength of any use by doing flared elbows on some of the exercises or should you have your elbows in all the time?

I've always done my pushing with my elbows in. Wondering if I'm missing any strength aspects by not doing flared at all.

Not at all.  The reason elbows flare out is attempting to take load off of the triceps.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

• Upvote 1

Farid Mirkhani

Not at all.  The reason elbows flare out is attempting to take load off of the triceps.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

No wonder my triceps looks more developed than the rest of my upper body. :)

Alexander Egebak

The flaring elbows issue resolves itself naturally as you progress on to more difficult variations.  For example, try flaring the elbows on a free standing HSPU.   ;)

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Shouldn't we actively strive to keep our elbows from flaring out?

Coach Sommer

You can. However my point is that regardless of what you do now, even if you don't it is automatically going to correct itself later.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

• Upvote 2

Ching Yin Leung

I read this thread on reddit recently which showed what happens if you have elbow flare during HeSPU. The author thought he "mastered" the progression but didn't realize he was making the rep requirement with poor form.

http://www.reddit.com/r/bodyweightfitness/comments/30hn2w/headstand_pushup_training_form_dont_make_the/

A good reminder for us to do regular form check. Lots of information on subscapularis impingement and scapular mobility as well in the comments.