Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

First Post - Can you comment on my routine

El Plunkito

El Plunkito

I understand the limitations in making accurate comments about people you've never met, but in spite of that any comments would be highly appreciated all the same.

I've been working out seriously with my bodyweight for a little over one year. During that year I was doing easier versions of the exercises that I'm about to list. 
I do some degree of mobility work every day like working on getting my head to my knees in pike stretch and sitting 30 minutes in the squat every day, so even though I don't mention it on my schedule it's there. 

My current routine is:

Sunday: Off

Monday: L- sits - between 3 and 5 holds. My PB hold is 11 seconds. Only began practicing this move very recently, so the poor figures can be forgiven
Greave The Groove Pull-Ups - Currently doing 40+ pull-ups spaced out throughout the day, usually adding one or two reps per GTG day.

Tuesdays: Wall Walking Bridges (Up and Down) - Doing 2 sets of 10 with these right now. Looking to progress soon to Stand-to-Stand Bridges. 
Floreio movement practice a la Ido Portal - Linking handstands to rotational bridges, to Queda de Rins etc. The focus is on fluidity and body awareness
GTG Pull-ups - Same deal as I said before

Wednesday: HSPU (Wall) - Here I have been stuck at one set of 7 followed by a second set of 5 for many weeks. 
100m Sprints - 5X near max effort. Simple enough
GTG Pull-ups - Same old

Thursday: Floor Leg Raises - Currently at 3x30 reps on these, typically causes cramping in the hips but has been improving due to sitting in squat every day. 

Friday: Counterweighted Pistol Squats - Here I hold out a small 2.5kg kettlebell for balance assistance. Most recent session was 2x4 reps. I match my weak leg's reps with the stong one so that I don't develop imbalances. 

Saturday:  Standard Push-ups - One set of 20 and a second set of 17. 
100M Sprints - Just like before

So that's it: very frequent but quite low volume. 

Trey Stone

you are missing a horizontal pulling exercise. I would add front lever training to this, and instead of standard pushups (horizontal pushing) I would train a harder skill like hollow back press or straddle planche. Depends on your goals, but this is what I would suggest to you. 

El Plunkito

OK thanks I'll consider that. Do you think that it's possible that I'm spread too thin over too many exercises, or can I amend this somehow while keeping them? Probably not I imagine. 

I had been progressing for some time with a routine like this, but then just about anything will work on a beginner, won't it? So it doesn't really say much. I'm leaning towards snipping some exercises out and focusing on skill acquisition more, like straddle planche and front lever. I do sense that I am not practicing the same thing enough times in one week, but as a pretty new trainee I don't have a good sense of when or what changes to make.

Trey Stone

I think focusing on harder strength skills is the most rewarding form of training there is. Pick a skill that looks impossible for you to attain at your current level and train toward it. If you think you are not training enough there is a method called grease the groove : 4 to 6 times a day, 4 to 6 days a week you train a skill at a lower intensity, but higher frequency. Perfect method to learn a skill fast or to add reps to an exercise. Good luck with your training! 

El Plunkito

i've put together a draft routine that practices some movements more than once a week:

Day 1# Diamond Push-ups, L-sits, Tucked Back-Lever, Sprints

Day 2# Pistol squats, hand balancing, pull-ups, tricep extensions

Day 3# HSPUs, Tricep Extensions, L-sits, Sprints

I'm wondering whether to sub the diamonds for dips. Probably a bit hard for my lagging triceps though, which this routine is supposed to help fix.