Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Working around medial epicondylitis (golfer's elbow).

JL

Here is a video where a guy uses straps to take the grip out of play.

I was thinking of trying this, because it only affects my pulling movements. He claims his clients have had good results.

Any opinions?

Well, I gave this idea a try using the twist grip. It seems to really take the strain off the forearm. I thought I still felt some activation, but on a scale of 1-10, 10 being needing to quit, the tension was maybe a 1. I got through 3 sets of pull ups with no pain. I did one thing stupid in between sets and hung on the bar out of habit. As a result, I felt a quick bit of strain. I resumed the third sets without any pain with the straps. Impressive. The day after, my elbow did not feel considerably improved from the day before, but probably due to hanging on the bar between sets and slightly re-straining it. Next time, I'll make sure not to strain my grip on something stupid and note the result. Pressing movements still contribute no pain in any way. The stretches I've been doing seem to feel more comfortable every other day.

I don't think this would work for people who claim the can't pick up a tooth brush, but maybe people in my boat can benefit.

Just another update.

I've now completed two workouts (Monday and Wednesday), and am starting turn on the twist grip. On Monday, the first set I tried caused a bit of pain (5 out of 10. 10 being what I feel with a straight bar pronated grip). Wednesday, same thing, but the pain was more of a 6 out of 10. My opinion, the twist grip drastically reduces the strain, but does not eliminate it. My elbow doesn't feel like it has gotten worse, but we all know that isn't the point, full recovery is the goal.

There does seem to be good news, however, the back grip seems to have much more promise. After the first set hurting a bit with the twist, I experimented with the back grip. It feels weird initially, but I couldn't feel a thing in my elbow. I did two sets, and felt no activation (0 out of 10). The real test, however, will be trying it on the first set on Friday. It seems that after the first set, you get a pain masking effect.

----------------------------- -----------------1st set ----------------------- 2nd sets and beyond ------- Following day

Regular pronated pull ups = 10 of 10 (Makes you want to quit)--------- less painful; you can fight it------- Next day hurts bad.

Twist grip = 4 of 10 avg. (Feel you can go on)------- almost no pain; can keep working without problems.------- Next day feel the same (no better, no worse).

Back grip = 0 of 10. Almost unreal, not a bit of pain. It felt as fresh as can be.-------Still no pain, strain, or even the impression of an injury.-------No pain the following day. I even did cross friction and stretched.

So far, I am extremely impressed with the back grip. For me, I don't feel a thing. I can even massage it afterward to try and exaggerate the feeling of any strain that might have been placed on my elbow, and it feels great. I didn't think the back grip would work because I tested it after the initial 1st set pain had subsided in my last work out; I thought the pain was just being masked. I expected it to still cause some pain after being let down by the twist grip, but it is shocking for me, really.