Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

how fast does endurance increase

lisiflex

I was wondering how fast endurance increases?

This is something I always want to know and I couldn't find an answer to yet!

I want to increase my reps of exercises about three to four times.

pull-ups:

got 3, want 10

chin-ups:

got 5, want 15

dips:

got 7, want 20

handstand push-ups:

got almost 1, want 5

full leg lifts:

got 6, want 20

L to L leg lifts:

got 3, want 10

Single Leg Squats:

got 1, want 5

I would say about 1-3 reps per month, depending on the exercise (leg lifts are easy for me, whereas pull ups are super hard!!!)

thank you

Julian Aldag

You will never find the answer because there are too many variables.

• Upvote 2

Colin Macdonald

People will respond very differently to the same stimulus. There's no way to find out exactly how you'll respond. All you can do if find the best program you can, and consistently focus on being better one day at a time.

If you really want to get into the science of it, the HERITAGE study is probably a good place to start:

http://www.pbrc.edu/heritage/home.htm

Studies conducted with young or older adults have typically reported gains in VO2max ranging from almost 0% to 50%, even though all the subjects completed exactly the same training program under close supervision. Scientists had previously assumed that these variations result from differing degrees of compliance with the training program, i.e., good compliers have the highest percentage of improvement and poor compliers show little or no improvement. However, it is now clear that even when there is full compliance with the program, substantial variations occur in the percentage improvements in VO2max values of different people. The same principle is also thought to apply to other physical activity-related phenotypes, including differences in response of the various risk factors for cardiovascular disease and type 2 diabetes.

Moreover, previous studies conducted with identical twins have suggested that heredity plays a major role in determining to what degree the body adapts to an intervention such as an exercise training program.

ForzaCavaliere

I'm pretty sure that for exercises with low perceived exertion then you can easily increase number of reps. 

All you have to do is increase your strength (aka. work harder progressions than whatever listed) and once you have increased your strength a lot then you can easily increase the number of reps on the listed exercises. 

Of course, that only works if you already had the strength developed to do satisfactory reps of the exercises listed, which you don't. 

Use GTG to increase reps up to maybe 5x5 if able, then move onto harder progressions, then once they've been mastered come back to the exercises you want high reps in.

Personally I have only tested my max reps once since I started training last year, as I don't think it's very important. For dynamic exercises, I always start the variation with 1 rep x 5 sets x 6 days/week and it goes on for 1 cycle. 1 cycle for me is 2 weeks. Then, on the next cycle, I simply increase the rep count by 1 for each set for all exercises. When I can reach 5 reps x 5 sets x 6 days/week, I stay there for one extra cycle (so 2 cycles) so that I give my tendons and joints adequate time to adapt and catch up and also just to be safe. Then, I move on to a harder variation, and the whole thing repeats.

As for static exercises, I start them always with 5 seconds x 5 sets x 6 days/week. I increase the duration by 5 seconds every cycle. Once I reach 30 seconds x 5 sets x 6 days/week, I stay there for 2 cycles. Then, I move on to a harder variation, and the whole thing repeats.

Gymnastics exercises incorporate strength and skill. Thus, I believe in order to properly benefit from them, you need short sets so you can concentrate on perfect form. I find myself often zoning out a little if the set gets longer that 5-6. Also, you need frequent training because how else are you gonna improve your skills?

This is how I train, and it has yield me satisfactory results. I'm very happy with it. I hope it benefits you too.

EDIT: I count the day after rest day the start of a new week. My cycle goes like this: Week 1 Mon-Sat, rest on Sunday; Week 2 Mon-Sat, rest on Sunday. The Monday after that is the start of a new cycle.

Edited by bzrk

Alexander Egebak

Personally I have only tested my max reps once since I started training last year, as I don't think it's very important. For dynamic exercises, I always start the variation with 1 rep x 5 sets x 6 days/week and it goes on for 1 cycle. 1 cycle for me is 2 weeks. Then, on the next cycle, I simply increase the rep count by 1 for each set for all exercises. When I can reach 5 reps x 5 sets x 6 days/week, I stay there for one extra cycle (so 2 cycles) so that I give my tendons and joints adequate time to adapt and catch up and also just to be safe. Then, I move on to a harder variation, and the whole thing repeats.

As for static exercises, I start them always with 5 seconds x 5 sets x 6 days/week. I increase the duration by 5 seconds every cycle. Once I reach 30 seconds x 5 sets x 6 days/week, I stay there for 2 cycles. Then, I move on to a harder variation, and the whole thing repeats.

Gymnastics exercises incorporate strength and skill. Thus, I believe in order to properly benefit from them, you need short sets so you can concentrate on perfect form. I find myself often zoning out a little if the set gets longer that 5-6. Also, you need frequent training because how else are you gonna improve your skills?

This is how I train, and it has yield me satisfactory results. I'm very happy with it. I hope it benefits you too.

EDIT: I count the day after rest day the start of a new week. My cycle goes like this: Week 1 Mon-Sat, rest on Sunday; Week 2 Mon-Sat, rest on Sunday. The Monday after that is the start of a new cycle.

You are training according to your assumptions and your own results about and in GST. Endurance comes naturally from maximal strength training (at rc you should have 15-20 pull ups, rc can be achieved 1 year after your first pull up). Training for endurance solely requires a proper foundation, given the amount of reps will strain your connective tissue and may lead to injury. This is especially important for someone who does not do proper form (kipping pull ups), as plyowork increases strain on the connective tissue.

You can train however you like do not disregard the advice being given as inferior. These people are the best of the best, not just some Mike Chang's selling ideas for 6 pack short cuts.

In general you want to start out with high reps for joint health and then decrease as progressions become harder. As implied in the Robb Wolff podcast you should be working a steady state cycle for optimal results, only advancing when having completed mastery, when exercises feel like a breeze, and only after 8-12 weeks. This is the best way possible, Coach's results support this.

You are training according to your assumptions and your own results about and in GST. Endurance comes naturally from maximal strength training (at rc you should have 15-20 pull ups, rc can be achieved 1 year after your first pull up). Training for endurance solely requires a proper foundation, given the amount of reps will strain your connective tissue and may lead to injury. This is especially important for someone who does not do proper form (kipping pull ups), as plyowork increases strain on the connective tissue.

You can train however you like do not disregard the advice being given as inferior. These people are the best of the best, not just some Mike Chang's selling ideas for 6 pack short cuts.

In general you want to start out with high reps for joint health and then decrease as progressions become harder. As implied in the Robb Wolff podcast you should be working a steady state cycle for optimal results, only advancing when having completed mastery, when exercises feel like a breeze, and only after 8-12 weeks. This is the best way possible, Coach's results support this.

I never said coach's advice is inferior. In addtion, it does take me 12 weeks to master an exercise: 8 weeks from 1-4 reps and 4 weeks at 5 reps. It's just I think I've found something that works personally for me. I do find that I perform better if I am to train everyday (with only 1 rest day) than if I only train 3-4 days a week. Hence I do have considerable volume (150 reps per week at maximum for dynamic exercises and 15 minutes at maximum for static exercises).

I understand that coach is a professional and he has very sound advice and I am not discreditting him in any way. Don't be mistaken.

Alexander Egebak

I never said coach's advice is inferior. In addtion, it does take me 12 weeks to master an exercise: 8 weeks from 1-4 reps and 4 weeks at 5 reps. It's just I think I've found something that works personally for me. I do find that I perform better if I am to train everyday (with only 1 rest day) than if I only train 3-4 days a week. Hence I do have considerable volume (150 reps per week at maximum for dynamic exercises and 15 minutes at maximum for static exercises).

I understand that coach is a professional and he has very sound advice and I am not discreditting him in any way. Don't be mistaken.

Very well, sorry for the misunderstanding.

• Upvote 1