Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Is the false grip supposed to be uncomfy at first?

Calv

Hi all.....first basic question from the new guy.... :?

Maybe i'm expecting too much too soon, i don't know, i got my rings yesterday and played around on them going through some of the basic techniques. I can do a couple of ring pullups, and i can do a few dips, but the muscle up is beyond me at the moment.

So i looked at some of the tutorials for this, and i tried the false grip, however i can't put any strength ino the grip. It's as though my hands kinked towards me at an awkward angle and all the strength applied is being directed to the boney corner of the outside of the wrist. It goes weak as soon as i try.

This is very frustrating as i know i have the strength to pull myself up. I want to start as i mean to go on and do the proper recommended technique.

Do people usualy find the false grip difficult and almost "unatural"? Is it just a case of my wrists needing to get stronger?

Thanks for any advice.

Calv.

It felt really weird for me at first, then I started practicing muscle-ups a lot and it started feeling more natural.

I took a break from training for a bit and now my false grip sucks again.

David Picó García

Yes at first is a bit unnatural but keep trying to do pullup with FG and soon it becomes natural. At first its easier to hold it with arm bent and after some training you will hang with arms straight with the false grip without a problem

It will be uncomfortable as you scrape the skin off your wrist. If you're smart, a band of tape will help things a lot, maybe wristbands as well. I'm neither.

Your wrists may lack the flexibility besides your forearms. Take off some of the bodyweight from the full hang by just squatting down.

You can also work ring support lower down to false grip to hang.

• 2 weeks later...
Mark Weaver

Calv,

A false grip definitely takes getting used to. Another user on the forum suggested doing false grip rows. I tried them and they're a great way to progressively work on developing strength in the false grip, without jumping straight to doing a full bodyweight chinup. My false grip is much stronger now.

Mark

Yep, sometimes the wrist just isn't able to hold that false grip and fails because it's too much load. It becomes hard to hold the false grip in false grip pullups for me at times probably for this reason.

Joshua Naterman

Wrist pushups, muscleup negatives on a straight bar, and one of those gyroscopic wrist things from REI really help me a lot(they are made by Dynaflex, check www.dynaflexxtreme.com for info). Also, Coach's wrist series is outstanding. Between all that, my false grip is getting really decent! At first it was super uncomfortable, for me it felt like burning in my wrist!