Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

dips vs push ups

MrAl

Do dips on p bars work the same muscles as push ups?

I can do 15 dips on pbars and I was wondering if I could completely get rid of push ups in my workouts if I do dips?

I also wondering the same thinh with handstand push ups, but I guess those work the shoulders more?

Christian Nogueira

In dips done in a more "gymnastic" manner one should be more upright rather than leaning forward as in the diagram. In that variation I imagine it's probably less Pectoralis Major and more the other things.

In dips done in a more "gymnastic" manner one should be more upright rather than leaning forward as in the diagram. In that variation I imagine it's probably less Pectoralis Major and more the other things.

Actually, leaning forward more decreases leverage and recruits more chests.

Toni Laukkavaara

good point, altought he didn't specify anything

A good alternative would be Swinging Dips...

Or you could do Three to Five Sets of Dips and finish with some Push Ups ;)

Handstand pushups come after dips, pushups come before dips.

It's not that you would get rid of pushups, but perhaps for a cycle you would emphasize dips.

There are still some benefits by continuing to keep pushups in your programming such as shoulder health or as a warmup. 

• Upvote 2

Handstand push-ups done right work more the shoulders - anterior deltoid is the main shoulder flexor. People tend to lean forward as pects will have better leverage (will be worked more) and will take load off the shoulders.

The upper chest (clavicular fibers) is worked mainly in the HSPU as the humerus will get closer to the clavicle compared to dips and regular pushups.

Dips work more the shoulder depressors (holding at the top of the dip), HSPU work more the scapular elevators (while holding the HS), etc.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
Kevin Haimann

You want to work your prime movers from different anglles in a movement approach.

Can you use full power with extented shoulder (aka dipping, backlever), in midrange (aka push ups, planche), and flexed shoulder (handstand push ups, press handstands)?

There is more to movement then just working muscles.

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...
Hannibal Ahmed

lol, bro, vertical pushing of any type works the same muscles as horizontal pushing, in a different way, same goes for pulling