Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

questions on structuring a routine

Guest Anton Emery

Hi Everyone,

I am new here. I picked up Coach Sommer's book a week or so ago, being inspired after attending an Ido Portal workshop here in Oregon. I mainly practice Brazillian Juijitsu, and i am interested in using gymnastics movements for my strength training. I want to see how they carry over to grappling, plus it would cool to learn something new and be a nice change of pace. For the lower body i will most likely stick to squats, deadlifts, GHD, and harop curls.

After reading the programming section of BTGB here is what i have come up with. Right now i am looking at two days a week, factoring in BJJ practice and other things, i may increase that once i see how things are going.

My main question is programming of the static and fundamental bodyweight strength movements. Should i run through all the static holds every workout, then move onto to that workout's strength movement? So for example:

Workout 1

Static Work

Take max hold, divide by 2, then as many holds as it takes to get up to a minute total.

A1. Frog Stand

A2. Front Lever tuck

rest 1 min, repeat

B1. L Sit

B2. Back Lever tuck

rest 1 min, repeat

Bodyweight Exercises

3x5 Rotate though different planes of movement on every workout

A1. Handstand pushups

A2. Pull Ups

Next workout the BW exercises would be Tuck Front Lever pull ups and Bulgarian Ring Pushups. When i can hit a 3 x 20 sec hold with the static exercises or easily complete the required reps for the BW movements then i will move onto to the next hardest progression.

Sound ok?

Anton

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds decent.

2x a week I'm stacking the static holds with movements that identify with them. Another 2x a week, I will be doing 1m of volume work of PL, FL, and BL and then 4-5 rounds of push and pull. I'm going to rotate the push from being HSPU to dips to pushup variants and the pull to being FLPU, CTB PU or false grip PU or inverted PU ( body curls ). I haven't been doing the tuck FLPU or inverted PU at all. Maybe good for shoulder health.