Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Strength vs Hypertrophy Training?

Sunjata

So I'm brand new and since it's the top of the week I want to improve on my program. Currently weigh 135 and I want to get stronger and bigger. I read that the general metrics 5x5 is strength training and that 3x10 is for hypertrophy. Makes it sound like you can only get one or the other.

My current program was done on three days of the week where I did two different exercises on each day.  

Monday: Closed Pushups 3x10 / Leg Raises (laying down) 3x35

Wednesday: Rows (using rings) 3x10 / Single Leg Squats 3x10

Friday: Bridge practice / Handstand (1min so far) trying to reach 2 before I start doing HSPU

I was thinking about buying Foundation 1 but I wasn't sure if it would help with hypertrophy as much as it would with strength. Also in Coach Sommer's book, he programs a full body workout on every day that there is training. 

So I guess the question basically is I'm asking for help to improve this and make it better. Everything is still a little confusing to me so I'll probably need to have a dialogue to figure everything out. Hope somebody can help.

Okay so I watched the videos. It makes sense though the information was explained in a weightlifting context and not bodyweight conditioning. I guess hypertrophy could be achieved by doing a harder exercise for higher reps. 

You say Foundation results in both. Is that because some movements require hypertrophy levels of exercise? Like I'm fairly certain the row is used in it, and I will guess that the rep range is 10x15. That exercise would lead to some type of hypertrophy correct? Verses maybe another exercise in some other part of the foundation that uses strength metrics?

GoldenEagle

Since I do not know the exact programming, I am unable to say, exactly, how the Foundation course develops both strength and hypertrophy. However I am able to say the course develops both because of the result Coach Sommer gets with the athletes he teaches. 

Granted gymnast focus more on strength training than building mass.

The additional strength and muscle mass are gained as a result of progressing onto harder variations.

Merunas Astrauskas

I've been on foundation for about 5 months now and everyone I haven't seen in a while has said how big I recently got. You really do get both.

Andrew Long

The most notable difference for me is my shoulders and arms along with more definition in my abs the muscles which create a v at your hips.

ADRIANO FLORES CANO

Unless you want to get huge (bodybuilding style) in which case bodyweight training is limited, Foundation is the right thing to get enough hypertrophy, or as I like to put it, hypertrophy that actually have an use. 

If you go throught the Curriculum to Rings, it will skyrocket your hypertrophy gains due to the nature of ring training. But that comes with time; you've to earn your ring training.

But yes, you'll put on mass, is a collateral effect.

• Upvote 1

Jon Douglas

Whilst I don't have body fat % records and I'm no ones fitness model, I have put on 7kg and slow/steadily/visibly lost bodyfat with 2 Foundation whole body workouts 2 + 2 Handstand 1 workouts, since September last year. Hypertrophy is not a real goal of mine, but I plain look like a different person.

So that's not earth-shattering, but its a thing to note, right? :)

Carmen Schult

i started with the foundation series in the beginning of december and i think in february or so with handstand series and did around 5 years weightlifting before. what i can say is that i noticed an increase of muscle mass in my upper body and some decrease of muscle mass in my legs probably due to the reason that GST is very shoulder girdle orientated while weightlifting movements are more orientated on your hips. my shoulder girdle feels a lot stronger now, although i never had shoulder issues before. the bodyfat stayed the same i would say. going up and down a bit every now and then. however, my overall bodyweight stayed the same.