Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

planche stagnation

Tomas Johansson

Tomas Johansson

I feel I get stronger in most of my excercises except the planche. When I started my cycle I had a maximum tucked planche hold of 10 seconds after a few days of rest. I train 3 days per week.

My program is this for the pressing.

5 seconds planche hold followed by 3 reps of pressing * 3 sets with about 1 minute rest.

My pressing is

-1 rep of headstand pushups + 2 rep negative headstand pushup or

-pushups on the xrings with hands as close to the hips as possible or

-bulgarian dips on xrings.

I feel I often struggle to get the 5 seconds and even sometimes fails. In the beginning of the cycle I was stronger and could complete the sets.

My guess is too hard excersices. Should I end the static hold while feeling fresh even if I can't get the target 5s?

Another explanation could be about 2kg of extra weight I put on which is not all muscle so to say.

Any suggestions?

How do you feel after that 1 minute of rest? Experiment with upping it by 30s. I go when my heart rate has dropped to something reasonable and not just when I feel ready but after I've hit the point of getting to be relaxed.

Were you working more volume in the actual planche before throwing in the pressing? Specificity rules.

I made a post a while back about how I cut my dip work and substituted explosive pushups and pseudo-planche pushups. Both forms of pushups got better and my dips declined by like a rep. From my experience, you will really mess yourself up if you lower the volume of the core exercise and overtrain with the less specific ones. That way, you fail on all fronts. Meaning, when you take a rest from the overtraining, you come back detrained even more in the core exercise.

Tomas Johansson

Thanks for your time and input. I think I need to get more rest between sets. I hope I train the planche enough 3*5seconds 3 times a week.

However, I continued to analyze my problem and came to the conclusion that I was no longer doing tuck planche work but something between tuck and advanced tuck, I had gotten a bit sloppy getting into a good tuck. I tried to really get my knees up to my chest and now it feels much better. Thats one of the problem not having a coach :D

9 reps a week is a bit on the light side, imo

per Coach Sommer's 60s of volume, you would need to do it 12x in one session. if that's too much right now, it would mean scaling back a progression.

right now when I do the workouts that only do the statics 3x in one workout combined with dynamic/isokinetic movement- it's ok. I think I would prefer 4-6x and may do so. I think I'm gonna be doing 2x a week and working on the 60s volume method 2x per week

Chris H Laing

per Coach Sommer's 60s of volume, you would need to do it 12x in one session. if that's too much right now, it would mean scaling back a progression.

I thought this was irrelevant when dealing with integrated programming?

Last fall in 08 I was further ahead in my planche progressions because I was working them a lot. When I switched up, I struggled and I think it was because it just wasn't being worked as much even if it had the assistance progressions like coupling planches with dips and handstand pushups.

It's the difference of working on the planche only 3x per workout versus doing it 6-12x. If it's a skill such as planche, there is a balance requirement that needs to be trained. For levers there is very little balance involved. I've seen very strong CF'ers hit levers in front or back with very little to no prior training just by being strong and squeezing everything.

I think maybe if I was working the planche some other time of the day besides just the WOD, it wouldn't be such an issue.