Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Strengthening shoulders

Barboy

I'm not sure what the reason is, but Everytime I do something like tuck front lever, negative hanging leg lifts or even getting out of a headstand, or trying to go from frog stand to handstand and falling on my legs, and as soon as I remove my hands from the ground I feel a big discomfort in my shoulders. This discomfort doesn't occur if I press my hands on the floor and protract my shoulders and slowly removing my hands off the floor.

It sounds very weird.. Does anyone have an idea what this is about and how to prevent it?

Coach Sommer

The residual discomfort you are feeling is indicative of the fact that you are working skills which are too advanced for your daily training.  

The body will always tell you what it needs.  In this instance the message is that the basics have not yet been mastered.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

• Upvote 1

Thank you for the answer, but I should have made myself more clear. I do realize that tuck front lever, negative hanging leg lifts, frogstand to handstand transition is above my level of fitness, and I do not train these on daily basis, however headstand is not. I can hold the headstand for more than 30 seconds. It is only when I get out of the headstand; lowering my legs to ground, raising my head from the ground and just when removing hands off the ground I feel this discomfort in my shoulders. If I keep my hands on the floor, press firmly and slowly going from bent arms to straight arms and shrug my shoulders, I can get out of the pain.

I am looking for prehab exercises to prevent this. :)

But could I ask, do you say basics as in previous progressions of these movements or basics as in planks, hollow hold, arch hold (those in prerequisites thread).

Colin Macdonald

Thank you for the answer, but I should have made myself more clear. I do realize that tuck front lever, negative hanging leg lifts, frogstand to handstand transition is above my level of fitness, and I do not train these on daily basis

I don't think coach just meant you shouldn't train overly advanced skills every day. You simply shouldn't train any skill you aren't ready for, so cut them out of your routine and focus on the basics.

As for the basics, I think he means everything in Foundation.

Vincent Stoyas

Indeed, I suppose the reason that even the simple things, such as lowering out of a headstand, is bothering you is because you're working above your level during your workouts. Scale back on your workout routine and allow some recovery. After you're recovered, return to your training at a lower intensity.

Klemen Bobnar

What kind of pain is it exactly? Sharp or dull? Does it only appear while doing the move or does it stay after the workout? How long have you been working out? Do you use proper form?

Rob Kowalski

I've been wondering this as well.  When I hold tuck planche for time, as soon as I lower there's a sharp pain in my shoulders for a brief moment (approx. 5 seconds and then goes away completely).  If I hold for a shorter time period there's no pain at all.  My question, then, is should I not be holding for time and instead do more reps of the shorter holds?  If that's the case, when do I know I'm ready to add time?