This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Things that only fellow GBers would understand

Started by Jennifer, June 4, 2014 · 92 Replies · 4,260 Views

Jon Douglas
HamdiC said:

Wait, so you mean that this never happens to you:

 

attachicon.gifNo.jpg

That's so fantastic!

ChrisUK
HamdiC said:

Wait, so you mean that this never happens to you:

 

attachicon.gifNo.jpg

That is hilarious!

RJS

Anyone else switch hands when using an impact drill, and then think about possible strength imbalance if you dont start switching fingers to keep the drill going.

TANSTAAFL
RJS said:

Anyone else switch hands when using an impact drill, and then think about possible strength imbalance if you dont start switching fingers to keep the drill going.

No, but I often worry I should switch hands peeling my sweet potatoes about halfway through the lot...

emilianop
HamdiC said:

Wait, so you mean that this never happens to you:

 

attachicon.gifNo.jpg

ahahah!

mcneuen

DOMS from mobility work done as a rest period

Jon Douglas

Deload week or 'rest' periods each comprise a workout you couldn't have completed 6 months ago.

RJS
TANSTAAFL said:

No, but I often worry I should switch hands peeling my sweet potatoes about halfway through the lot...

Friend that sounds dangerous.

mark
HamdiC said:

The unbearable sadness that come when you see that your vacation week will not align with your deload week (and there is nothing you can do about it... you think for a moment to adjust your workout schedule, but then a small Coach Sommer head appears over your shoulder and shakes his head "no" and so you aquiesce and accept)

The shoulder coach...

El Chino

Leaving a social event early to train because you couldn't do it earlier. People already think I am a bit strange for not drinking alcohol(not teetotal but will occasionally have a beer or glass of wine).

Being the honest type I would say I was off home to train. After getting some strange looks a few times I now just tell them I'm tired and going home to bed.

ChrisUK

Similar situation here El Chino ;)

Being in a fraternity I also get weird looks when I choose training over drinking. It's almost as if you have hurt some brothers on a deep emotional level when you choose not to go out with them 100% of the time.

Ravn

That look when you turn down a beer or wine at a dinner party, because alcohol makes it harder to balance during the handstand training later.

 

Oh, and "Doing single leg squats that deep will mess up your knees". Right.

Adriano Augusto

"You'll mess up your knees doing that"

 

"Do you even inside squat brah?"

 

6itcwj.png

Bro'

We ARE a weird bunch, aren't we?  :P

Jon Douglas

When I see what my BJJ / crossfit/ MMA friends and classmates call strength and mobility, I realise I actually have to play down what I can do to avoid showing off or getting written off as gifted. This is so far outside the realms of my experience I can't fully express it.

 

It's not hard to avoid inflating my ego though, because I train and read Gbodies and quickly feel weak and kittenish :S We really do hold things to a different standard :)

HamdiC

How easy it can be to loose count of 5 sets.

RJS
HamdiC said:

How easy it can be to loose count of 5 sets.

I regularly run into this. That moment, laying on the ground, mastery set, thinking "oh no, is this set 4 or 5?" That feeling is easily the most confusing and dreadful time of my life.

Keilani Gutierrez

feeling that your form is not acceptable meanwhile in a room of people who feel like supermen with much less than acceptable form. 

mcneuen
RJS said:

I regularly run into this. That moment, laying on the ground, mastery set, thinking "oh no, is this set 4 or 5?" That feeling is easily the most confusing and dreadful time of my life.

Here's my strategy for avoiding this:  Alternate which way you are facing each set.  Sets 1, 3, 5 - face east.  Sets 2, 4 - face west.  You can do it on the main exercise or you can do it on the iM.  Either way, it becomes harder to forget which set you're on.

Bro'
mcneuen said:

Here's my strategy for avoiding this:  Alternate which way you are facing each set.  Sets 1, 3, 5 - face east.  Sets 2, 4 - face west.  You can do it on the main exercise or you can do it on the iM.  Either way, it becomes harder to forget which set you're on.

 

Glad I'm not the only one doing that.  :lol:

Jon Douglas
Bro said:

Glad I'm not the only one doing that.  :lol:

Seconded.

emilianop
Jon Douglas said:

Seconded.

LOL, same here.

Also on unilateral drills I start with the other side, i.e. xiaopengs 1,3,5 start with left hand, 2,4 with right. :)

Jon Douglas

I also switch directions each set on rings exercises, in case I have hung one microscopically higher than the other ^_^

Richard Sassoon

In my recent attempts to keep me going doing ABH I started counting sheep. It happened naturally trying to keep me up on the 4th set and helped me complete the 5th set as well. It sounds crazy even for me hahaha

Jon Douglas
Richard Sassoon said:

In my recent attempts to keep me going doing ABH I started counting sheep. It happened naturally trying to keep me up on the 4th set and helped me complete the 5th set as well. It sounds crazy even for me hahaha

That's awesome!

I'd love that image on a T-shirt :D