Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Placing hands backwards

Barboy

I just heard about this hand position (noob here) and boy, it is so much harder..

Of course I'm talking about Push ups, hollow plank and other similar exercises. Especially hollow push ups!

My question is, should I do my push ups, my hollow planks and others like planche lean (in future I will do these) with hands backwards, as this is much harder? But then again, I'm not sure if the harder, the better... :S

Ps! The one arm hollow plank with hands facing backwards is a beast! :D

Also, I tried doing PPP with hands facing to side, and I managed it, but hands facing backward was something else...

Joshua Slocum

Hands backwards is much more strenuous on the elbows, and doing too much of it too soon can lead to joint issues. It's recommended that you avoid hands backwards until further on in your training. 

I do not feel any pain/discomfort in my elbows, all I feel is how much harder the muscles work.

But perhaps it is best to use hands backward for the very basic exercises (hollow plank, arch plank), and not trying to do something like PPP or even something easier such as planche leans with hands facing backwards.

Thanks.

Joshua Slocum

I do not feel any pain/discomfort in my elbows, all I feel is how much harder the muscles work.

But perhaps it is best to use hands backward for the very basic exercises (hollow plank, arch plank), and not trying to do something like PPP or even something easier such as planche leans with hands facing backwards.

Thanks.

In e.g. pushups it's not going to be a big issue, though I'd still recommend hands forwards. The problem is the stress placed on the straightened elbows during planche leans (and at the top of PPP) - definitely don't do those with hands backwards, even if you don't initially feel pain in your elbows. 

Thanks for the warning.

I have just recently accepted that I am no beast, and will not push the limits, rather take it slow and most of all, work on my mobility and flexibility.

My goal is to make my mobility and flexibility (and core!) be ahead of the game before I start with FSP and advance (note: not begin) in my FBE work.

For me, that means a lot of hard work, but do I have a choice? Nope. :D

Carmen Schult

when i do hands backwards i feel like i can generate more power in my arms but strangely my holding times are usually lower than with hands forward. i can also feel it's a lot more stress on the biceps, bicep's tendons and elbows but i feel like balancing is harder. with hands forward i feel a lot of stress is switching from elbows to my wrists and hands. i think if you dont feel any hurting its up to you what you choose. if both fits you just alternate both

Turning the hands back also tenses the chests more just like RTO position and supinated grip back lever.