Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Ideas/Critique on short Routine < 20min

nospam

I want to construct a short routine which is short but still has a essentials. i know that the WODs would be probably a good place to look at but my goals are more specific (and i do not have the basic strength down).

I would appreciate your ideas/critique. That is what i got so far:

Goals: Upper body supplemental strength training esp. horizontal pulling/pressing and core strength. Besids that i do oly weightlifting and metcons with a focus on running. i know this are no real goals. so here is the list:

-improvement of the levers: at first front and back. later side lever. now i have a one legged FL and a 2-3 sec back lever

-planche

-weighted strict MU (i am working towards a strict MU)

-HSPU (i have 7 HeSPU)

routine:

i wanted to train gymnastics 4 times a week doing each routine A,B twice a week.

All movements are either assisted or with additional weight

Routine A

-MU

-front lever row alternating with Front lever pulls

-Ians alternating with Back lever curls

-L-sit Pullups wide

-Dips or bulgarian dips

-Glute-Ham Sit-up (weighted) or Ab-Wheel-Roll-outs (or the same on the ring)

Routine B

-Handstand presses

-360° Pulls (or front/back pull or similar)

-Planche PU

-Band Presses or HSPU prog.

-HLR

general comments/specific questions:

-i order to save time i want to embed all static positions but i do not have much knowledge regarding this therefore the embedded training is limited. maybe someone could add ideas?

-for the same reason i focused a lot on multiplane skills in order to train more in less time. is that a valid approach?

specific questions:

-can i replace pullups and dips with MU and still improve my PUs and Dips?

-can i replace L-sits with L-sit PU?

-is there a variation/similar functioning movement of the front lever pulls/ian/back lever curls which i can do on the rings

-where should i place the bands for assistance on front/back lever/planche? ankles or hip? when doing FL or BL i used to place the bands on the hips because i attached to bands on the bar on which the rings are hanging from. if i would set up the bands on the ankles then the assistance would not be straight up but more on an angle. and general for planche on the hips or the ankles?

- should i use Glute-Ham Sit-up (weighted) or Ab-Wheel-roll-outs (or the same on the rings)? i am progressing toward a full rollout

thanks for your comments!

• 3 weeks later...

Hmm, 20m and under. That would have to a very brief WU.

Quickly work 5-7m each rotating each day between HS work and MU. Consider this skill work.

Do you have the book? If you don't I am not going to divulge what the embedded programming is about. This is in respect to Coach Sommer's program and work towards it.

For just 20m a day, it would be hard to do a whole body or push-pull workout each day. Similar how some of the GB wods are push and pull only, use something similar. You could string 3 pull or push movements together or something like 3 rounds of rope climb, pseudo planche pushup, front lever pulls, HSPU. String them together with a short rest between movements and bigger rest period at the end of the set. If you lower the progressions you can make it a metcon set but that's what it is, a metcon set not a strength set.

If you want to get good at the levers, you can substitute it with working the isokinetic momevements ( skin the cats, front lever pulls, 360s, cranks/reverse cranks ). To save time, I'd work on those movements and static holds of the planche. Planche is more skill oriented than the levers.

If you put the weight bands around the ankles it's going to be more difficult due to the distance it is away from your hands.

Alternate Glute-Ham SU and the wheel rollouts. Work each 1x a week or 2x. Whatever tickles your fancy and what you can do volume wise. You could also end the workouts with some reverse leg lifts or HeS/HSLL or core work like body levers.