Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Can't hold the bottom position of one legged squat

Barboy

Hey!

I can easily lower down to the very bottom of a one legged squat, but at the bottom I just fall on my non working butt cheek :/

What indication is this? Poor hip mobility/flexibility? Anyone?

Jesus Rojas

Hey!

I can easily lower down to the very bottom of a one legged squat, but at the bottom I just fall on my non working butt cheek :/

What indication is this? Poor hip mobility/flexibility? Anyone?

Could you please upload a video ?. It can be a flexibility problem or ankle mobility , Try to do it in a elevated surface and tight your core , legs and butt.

Could you please upload a video ?. It can be a flexibility problem or ankle mobility , Try to do it in a elevated surface and tight your core , legs and butt.

The elevated surface did work better, especially when I shifted my weight over my working leg. I suppose it's an ankle mobility issue, but I've always suspected that I have poor hip flexibility too, because it's hard for me to reach my toe with my hands in the bottom position. Do you know any good hip stretches for one legged squat?

The ankle mobility exercise I'm already familiar with (putting weight on top of knee and leaning forward in a lunge position).

Thanks for your reply!

Jesus Rojas

The elevated surface did work better, especially when I shifted my weight over my working leg. I suppose it's an ankle mobility issue, but I've always suspected that I have poor hip flexibility too, because it's hard for me to reach my toe with my hands in the bottom position. Do you know any good hip stretches for one legged squat?

The ankle mobility exercise I'm already familiar with (putting weight on top of knee and leaning forward in a lunge position).

Thanks for your reply!

Can you do a deep squat with two legs without raise your ankle ? If you can, you have to focus on develop active flexibility by keeping your non working leg completely straight and lower down slowly increasing your ROM from workout to workout and also you can try to hold the bottom position ( I mean squat with two legs to the bottom and raise one leg emulating the bottom position of the one leg squat and try to hold).

• Upvote 1

Well. I can do deeper than most, but not to a point where my ass is touching my heels... I've thought about it, and yeah, it is just an flexibility issue, I'll have to first fix my 2 legged squat before I can do 1 legged squat.

Jesus Rojas

Well. I can do deeper than most, but not to a point where my ass is touching my heels... I've thought about it, and yeah, it is just an flexibility issue, I'll have to first fix my 2 legged squat before I can do 1 legged squat.

Yes , I first had a good 2 legged squat ( ass touching heels) and also a Close squat before trying the pistol.

This is why I would simply implement holding the bottom of the pistol as a warmup with my boys and myself. If need be they would a beam or pole while holding that bottom if they couldn't do it on angled surface like a springboard ( you can achieve a similar effect by using a shoe with an elevated heel like a WL shoe or putting a small wood block or plate underneath your heel. )

• Upvote 2