Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What Lifts to Do

Timothy Aiken

Timothy Aiken

So I have access to a really nice gym this summer, and I'm looking to add in some lifts after my Foundation, Handstand, and Movement (we'll see if I'll continue this when that comes out). I am going to lift, I'm just not so sure which lifts to do. I'm completely sure I'm gonna do front squat and deadlift. I really enjoy hang cleans, and bench not so much.

Recommendations? I know O-lifting would be great, but I've ceased doing that due to not having a coach, and fear of injury.

Timothy Aiken

I want to be strong with weight outside of myself. If that makes sense....

I'm thinking front squat and deadlift could be it with Foundation covering everything else. I'm wondering if there are any really good lifts like the two aforementioned ones that I could do. 

Well GST exercises pretty much got the whole upper body covered. RDL and SLDL are also leg exercise. For upper body, I guess you can do bench press since it's horizontal pushing with retracted scapula which I don't think is worked in body weight exercises, but you said you don't like them. You can also do bicep curls to strengthen your elbows along with the stuff you do in Foundation. Do triceps extensions to get very strong triceps since most GST exercise don't work the triceps that hard except for manna and victorian exercises and to balance out all the biceps and brachialis work in GST.

If you don't like bench press, do it with dumbbells. Neutral or turned out.