Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Headstand Push Ups

Vytautas Pilkauskas

Vytautas Pilkauskas

Hello, guys!

For the last several months I've been trying to achieve my most desired (tied with the strict bar muscle up) exercise which is full ROM HSPU. At the moment I am at HeSPU in the progression charts and I am stuck here for those last several months. I will record and upload a video here tomorrow to share with you but here are some details: I'm doing it back to wall (or anything I can support my heels with), elbows do not flare to sides, trying to touch the ground with my head or forehead. All I can do is 1 full ROM HeSPU and 2 not full ROM HeSPUs but my back starts to arch. It seems that strength is not building up. Has someone had similar or the same experience and worked it out? My own guess is that I need to switch to face to wall position which is significantly harder for me but I'll give it a shot. It is second exercise in my routine after bar muscle ups so shoulders aren't fatigued and it is not the case also I get myself fully recovered before doing another set. Also I thought about taking a step back and doing box HeSPU with my feets elevated using paralettes in case I built on wrong patterns on my way to HeSPUs. The last thing to mention is that I have a decent full body routine which consists of 3 pulling exercises and 3 pushing exercises + legs. HeSPU comes first of pushing group.

Joshua Slocum

Your problem is that you can only do 1 HeSPU at a time. That's not enough volume to build strength. Try doing an easier exercise (i.e. block HSPU) and work your way up to 3x8 or 5x5 before moving up to HeSPU. 

• Upvote 1

Vytautas Pilkauskas

Well, when I incorporated HSPU work in my workouts, I started with pike HeSPU, moved on to box HeSPU, then to negative HeSPU and now I'm stuck here. All the time I worked up to 3*8 (6 seconds for eccentric part in negatives). I will follow your advice now, take a step back and try box HSPU. Thank you! :)

Well, i have similar problem with my handstand push ups. I can do only 1 handstand ROM push ups but still can do 15 box handstand push ups. What i do for last few weeks is 3/4 rom handstand push ups, do it 2-3 times a week and 3-5 sets with low reps (2-4). Same problem when i push for last rep my back is arch and feel a little bit pain..