Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What are some good supplemental mobility/stretching resources

Matthew Levy

Matthew Levy

I am in week 2 of F1/H1 and find that certain mobility issues are what is holding me back already.  I used to think I was above average in flexibility, but the last week has been eye-opeining (I am already stuck on things like swivel hips, for example since I cannot keep both butt cheeks down)!  I also scanned ahead in both F1 and H1 to see what is on the horizon in terms of both the PE and the iM and can already see there are going to be some major issues ahead (like anything involving legs split out in a straddle, comes to mind immediately -- not sure how I'll ever do a straddle v-up with proper form and range of motion right now).

I have an old Yoga DVD laying around that I started using this week ("Yoga for Martial Arts") and I have the book "Becoming a Supple Leopard" by Kelly Starrett.  Are there any other resources here that that the GB vets routinely use and recommend to assist in getting the mobility necessary to do the PEs and iM's better?

Thanks for helping this newbie out!

Keilani Gutierrez

i'm in a similar boat, years of bike riding with injuries + no rehab and then working mostly on a desk and driving to customers can leave you pretty non-gumby like, so i can relate :P 

if you can identify where you feel tightest, that'd be the best way to start, so on swivel hips, learn which MWOD tools will help to release tightness in your glutes and on the other days, do something different. 

i've recently focused on my Hip flexors, TFL, Calves and Lats(sometimes i'll do Lats and if they feel better than most days ill do my triceps and trapz) because that's where i feel tightest now. so find -your- tight spots. 

also, i warm up now with some foam rolling :) it helps me feel nice and loose to start my workout. explore and see what works for you.

Douglas Wadle

We're all anxiously awaiting release of coaches stretch one program as well. Starrett's stuff is good for releasing tight areas prior to stretching. It's very useful to "keep" your new ROM by finishing stretching sessions with some dynamic or ballistic stretching. It helps your body learn to use the new ROM.

• Upvote 1

Matthew Levy

Thanks for the advice.  I'll be very interested to see what Coach puts out.  Any idea on when it is supposed to be released?