Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Can anyone do an Ian (not spotted)

Guest Valentin

Guest Valentin

Hello

After ordering coach Sommer's book, the Ians (from a rear support on a single rail, like the girls low bar, you lower down and straighten your arms out to a back lever, than you curl and press back up... hard to explain without vid) was one of the exercises that most interested me (particularly as at first sight it looked like something nice and challenging yet achievable looking. I have been doing them (granted not religiously, or to a degree of consistency and frequency that i would wish, or need to be doing) for several months now, and i have to say DAMN!!

I was thinking today if the exercises is even possible without a spot? Coach have you got any of your athletes doing them on their own or seen anyone doing it on their own?

I have been working them on the low bar (asymmetrical bars) and i can do the first 1/2 by myself (granted with some degree of imperfection usually, but I am sure on a good day fresh, i can do first 1/2 flawlessly). However from the back lever to the the curl i have 0 ability.

I was thinking that it would be much more realistic and possible on the Rings, but eithe way one key thing obviously to being able to this exercises on your own is to have a false grip, but that makes it even harder without grips haha.

So my questions is

Can anyone do it one their own.

Coach Sommer

Congratulations on your progress. Well done.

No, none of my athletes can perform an Ian unassisted. This is not however an element that is in our conditioning program consistently; rather it is inserted to address perceived short term weaknesses.

Performing the second half of an Ian unassisted becomes problematic due to grip issues; it will be quite difficult to maintain the false grip while going out to full extension on the back lever. My recommendation, especially when training alone, would be to continue to focus on the first half; striving to keep the tempo as slow and consistent as possible throughout the entire ROM. Generally there tends to be an abrupt increase in speed while straightening the elbows the final few inches.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Guest Valentin

Hi

Thanks for the response coach Sommer. Phew!.. its good to know that its not just me being a softy and complaining about how the exercises is extremely hard, its good to know that even your athletes which are machines haha don't find this exercises a light contender.

Thanks for the recommendations and i will definitely keep working on it. Will update if i ever get to a level/degree of ability worth mentioning haha.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
John Sapinoso

i can do reps with about 70-80% ROM on the rings (ill lower into a bentish arm back lever then press it back up)

i had most of the strength from my gymnastics background but these helped me fine tune it

[VVV]

do a slow negative and then from the back lever either back or front kip up (if you're tired) or forward or back roll back up ( slightly harder than kipping if you go really slowly) to support and reapeat.