Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Coaching question

Bruce Dierl

Bruce Dierl

So I applied for a coaching position in a gymnastics gym and have been on job training for a few weeks.

Now, following coach's recent podcast and also how he does his class: https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/topic/13466-front-and-back-walkoverslimbers/ (I forgot which page)

I can pretty much say that injuries are waiting to happen in the gym.

Over here, gymnastics is more a females sport and from what I've observed so far is plenty of emphasis on flexibility and the artistry aspect, hardly any strength training (very negligible). 

A particular concern I saw was the competitive girls doing upper body plyometric work (wallabies) with their elbows flared out, initially I thought maybe it was tough since I haven't tried them. However, I did see one of the competitive girls do dips which looked more like shoulder shrugs on parallel bars.  

As much as GB is catered to adults and such, I think it can also apply here. Any thoughts on these?

Daniel Burnham

So I applied for a coaching position in a gymnastics gym and have been on job training for a few weeks.

Now, following coach's recent podcast and also how he does his class: https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/topic/13466-front-and-back-walkoverslimbers/ (I forgot which page)

I can pretty much say that injuries are waiting to happen in the gym.

Over here, gymnastics is more a females sport and from what I've observed so far is plenty of emphasis on flexibility and the artistry aspect, hardly any strength training (very negligible). 

A particular concern I saw was the competitive girls doing upper body plyometric work (wallabies) with their elbows flared out, initially I thought maybe it was tough since I haven't tried them. However, I did see one of the competitive girls do dips which looked more like shoulder shrugs on parallel bars.  

As much as GB is catered to adults and such, I think it can also apply here. Any thoughts on these?

Proper approach to physical preparedness is key.  The GB approach is very good though I might tweak it for competitive women.  Certainly much of the progression will be the same.  

What you have encountered is unfortunately very common and probably why some gyms tend to produce better athletes.  I do think the USA has had an edge on the competition in women's gymnastics by treating women similarly to men in terms of strength training.  They definitely look more powerful than most other country's gymnasts.  I think it is just a matter of time before everyone starts this approach considering the benefits.

Bruce Dierl

Yes, it is very common in other gyms here as well. Was in another gym for a few months and observed their recreational / competitive athletes, many of the basic holds in the GB curriculum are done so poorly that they might as well not have been done.

In your opinion, where would some of the areas require tweaking?