Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

When to Train Straight Vs. Bent-Arm Strength?

PetesMcGee

Hello,

I understand that this topic has probably been covered extensively here in the past, but I have a question in regards to weather to train bent or straight arm strength first for a given movement on a given day. My long-term upper-body goals are: front lever, back lever, and straddle-L handstand press. Since all of these are straight-arm movements, should I train them specifically first and then later in the day do bent-arm work? For example: If I am working on a front-lever, should I first work on my tuck-lever in the morning and pull-up variations in the evening, or visa versa?  How much does it matter? Or would I progress faster If I work exclusively on the specific movement with straight-arms throughout the day? 

Thanks!!!

GoldenEagle

1. Train both equally.

2. It only matters when you take your energy level into consideration.

3. I don't know.

WitnessTheFitness

Personally, I like to do straight-arm work all together, and not mix it with bent arm work in the same session.

Jon Douglas

Bent arm work always as warmup and cooldown for straight arm work for me.

I'm pretty sure this is nigh-necessary as you get stronger (and work harder straight arm elements). Admittedly at the level of most of us here, we likely aren't strong enough to really hurt ourselves (unless we knowingly do something pretty dumb and dramatic), but you only need to see one busted elbow/sternum to take the lesson well to heart, and on the lower end of the scale tendonitis sucks.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Personally i like to seperate straight arm work from bent arm work, as i made faster improvements with Training straight arm strength only one to two times a week, but with high intensity.

What also worked for me, was to Train straight arm strength first and later on bent arm work.

With bent arm work first i just don't have the necessary strength to really Train the Levers, since i always had a muscle that would give up, before i reached a seemingly correct Level of intensity.

• Upvote 1