Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Is endurance training useless?

Hivoyer

This is generaly a question about leg exercises as my knees have always been a problem area ever since i started doing SLS i get some pain in them.I increase the weight i hold by 3kg each week,but it starts to hurt,so i stop and i substitute SLS with high rep bodyweight squats for 1-2 weeks and then i feel better with handling the weight in the SLS even tho for the 2 weeks of BW squats i lose a little strenght.So does this mean high rep exercises like the squats help the knees somehow in the SLS?

It sounds like your knees are not quite as flexible as they should be. More than likely you are really leaning forward in the SLS to maintain balance ( probably rounding your back forward ) versus keeping a straight back and pushing through the heel.

Coach Sommer

You are using too much weight and ROM for your SLS current level of strength. My recommendation is for you to perform your SLS with no additional weight and to also switch from a standard SLS to a Graduated SLS; which will allow you to increase your repetitions, slowly increase your ROM and strength over time without excessively straining your knees. If these adjustments are still too demanding on your knees, then simply stay with the higher rep bodyweight squats.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Michael Jordan

Just to give you some perspective, I damaged some cartilage in my knee by incorrectly performing sls which resulted in surgery. If you are feeling pain it is advisable to follow Coach's advice as to avoid doing any kind of permanent damage.

Try to keep your shin closer to vertical by moving your base of support closer to your heel. This will reduce the shear forces on your knee.