Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

supps for faster strength increase

Katharina Huemer

Katharina Huemer

Hey guys!

I am 5'3'', 110lbs and eat 1900kcal, 120gr of protein, 250gr of carbs and 50-60gr of fats!

I do Foundation 3 times a week and I was wondering if I could take any supps like BCAA or Creatine to make faster progress or recover faster?

I know that most girls in my gym who do Crossfit are taking that and they told me it would make me gain strength a little faster.

What do you think?

Colin Macdonald

If you are getting good sources of protein in your diet, BCAAs are irrelevant.

Creatine has a very small effect on strength output in certain situations, but it also adds water weight. For people doing body weight work, it seems pointless to me.

What about dextrose or some carb repletion supplement during the anabolic window?  I think that's a big part of what folks are doing with the perfect workout nutrition, right?  I take about 80 grams mixed with whey after my workouts with solid food about 1 hour after that.  I find this is very helpful for recovery, especially if you're still completing Crossfit Wods.  Not sure how successful it is for adding strength, per-sea, but it seems to help recovery, which allows me to try harder, which--I assume--leads to greater strength gains over time.  

Matthew Proulx

Nothing can give you strength gains besides doing strength training. There are things that can help you recover faster, but with a proper diet, plenty of water and sleep you should recover at a decent rate working only 3 days a week.

• Upvote 1

Biren Patel

Oh my god, I called it. I saw this thread a few hours ago and was like, coach sommer would say something about time being is the best supplement. Then you said it. I know you inside and out, coach. Inside and out.

• Upvote 1

Coach Sommer

Oh my god, I called it. I saw this thread a few hours ago and was like, coach sommer would say something about time being is the best supplement. Then you said it. I know you inside and out, coach. Inside and out.

And have you been following it?

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

• Upvote 1

Mikkel Ravn

And have you been following it?

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

I have, and it seems to work.

Briac Roquet

I think we all hear Coach's voice in our heads at some point. When you want to skip ahead in a progression 'first things first' or when you want to prioritise some exercises 'GST is not a buffet.' The podcast and recent video with BarbellShrugged just made it creepier now that I've actually heard his voice.  :lol:

• Upvote 2

Creatine and Beta Alanine allow you to do more work, specifically anaerobic work which allow you to get stronger over time because you are doing more work.

They probably don't really help you recover in the sense of recover but they do allow you to store more creatine and beta alanine than your body would normally generate on it's own.

Food and sleep help you recover. Carbs can spike your insulin which shuttles nutrients around though I doubt that insulin spike is the same as exogenous insulin. I much prefer eating some carbs than needles because I hate needles. And food is tasty while needles make my blood pressure drop like a major league curveball.

At 3 days a week, that should be ample enough time to recover between workouts.

Get your sleep and eat your food and you'll be fine. 

The water associated with Creatine usage allows you to store more energy. It's not necessarily water bloat.

• Upvote 3

Katharina Huemer

Thanks for your answer!

Ok, I see!

Now I work out (strength) 3 times a week. Would I make faster progress if I would do 4-5 workouts a week and take supplements for faster recovery?

My goals are just body weight exercises like Foundation! (pull-ups, leg lifts etc!)

GoldenEagle

Your progress through the foundation courses would be faster with more workouts. However your body still is going to need time for recovery and repair.

Stay with three times a week until the end of your current 8 or 12 week cycle. Deload weeks are the weeks your body does the most recovery and repair.

Coach Sommer

At your level supplements are extremely over rated and I do not recommend them.

Do not be in too big a hurry to add more training days.  

Focus on finding the proper balance of work and recovery that best suits your individual body.  Train hard while you are training and then focus equally hard on recovering when you are recovering.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

• Upvote 7

Mikkel Ravn

Focus on finding the proper balance of work and recovery that best suits your individual body. Train hard while you are training and then focus equally hard on recovering when you are recovering.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

I like that, I'll tell that to my wife, when I'm on the couch: "I'm focusing hard on recovering". That'll work :)

• Upvote 7

Justin Goodhart

Focus on finding the proper balance of work and recovery that best suits your individual body.  Train hard while you are training and then focus equally hard on recovering when you are recovering.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Well said. 

The most anabolic thing you could do is get enough sleep every night. 

So much of success in training comes from what you do OUTSIDE of training (nutrition, lifestyle, active recovery, etc.)

If you want better PERFORMANCE (yang), you must have better RECOVERY (yin).

Best of luck

Jon Douglas

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Need to print this out and hang it on my rings between sessions...

Alessandro Mainente

I started to be moe critic about creatine when i've talked with the italian wr of deadlift, during high level preparation supplements are used after the training. the reason is simply because you cannot estimated a reasonable level of strenght or percentages of 1RM , also if thre are some evidences that creatine improves the MAXIMAL strenght in weigthlifting from 16 to 30%.

people take eccitant supplements, caffeine, taurine etc but if ou are not training for maximal strenght , and foundation is not maximal strenght, you do not need them. eat weel, sleep well and be patient. miracle does not exist!

• 2 weeks later...
Joel Tomkins

Time is the most productive supplement.   ;)

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Where can I buy that?

• Upvote 3

Colin Macdonald

Where can I buy that?

If you wake up early enough, they give it away for free!  ;)

• Upvote 2

Joel Tomkins

How's 5am sound for early?  My issue is a 3 hour commute on top of a 8 hour shift. I'm still getting in a workout every second day though and think I'm seeing my best gains yet. :)

Colin Macdonald

How's 5am sound for early?

5am is perfect, they should make it the official working full time parent exercise hour!

For me, getting up at 5 means I also have the same bedtime as my 5 year old daughter, so it works out well.  :)

Important Information

Please review our Privacy Policy at Privacy Policy before using the forums.