Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

How many pull ups can a strong gymnast do?

Barboy

Basics pull-ups relative to a gymnast's maximal strength will be pretty low on the scale. So while they might not train for endurance specifically, the fact that pull-ups are a basic exercise relative to their maximal strength will mean I can see them doing around 30 without any endurance work. This is with perfect form / ROM too. If we are talking about streetworkout/calisthenic so-called "clean" form, then the number would probably be around 40-50.

Or if we're talking crossfit pull-ups, ... ;)

WitnessTheFitness

I haven't tested it in years, but my guess is 30. I usually leave endurance training to my rock climbing workouts. Doing tons of pullups is just too boring for me.

Colin Macdonald

In the latest podcast, Coach talked about his guys doing something like 120 strict muscle ups in a circuit (I can't remember exactly how long, 10 minutes?). So my guess is that they can also do a lot of pull-ups, though I don't know exactly how many. But my guess would be somewhere between the range of a fuck-load and a shit-ton (they're in Arizona, so that's probably an imperial shit-ton).

Colin Macdonald

Gymnast seem to be superhumans.

I'm not worthy to write in the same forum as you. Forgive me. Bye.

We're not talking about the average forum user, you asked about a strong gymnast. Asking how many pull ups a strong gymnast can do is like asking how far an ultra marathon runner can walk.

• Upvote 1

Matthew Proulx

All of them.  They can do all the pullups.

You would be mistaking a common gymnast with CHUCK NORRIS. 

• Upvote 1

In the latest podcast, Coach talked about his guys doing something like 120 strict muscle ups in a circuit (I can't remember exactly how long, 10 minutes?).

http://board.crossfit.com/showpost.php?p=94845&postcount=1

So it wasn't necessarily consecutive and it was 15 minutes. 

My guess is a high level MAG guy can probably do around 40 strict, give or take 10. Also depends on getting them to actually do it.

Katharina Huemer

In the latest podcast, Coach talked about his guys doing something like 120 strict muscle ups in a circuit (I can't remember exactly how long, 10 minutes?).

http://board.crossfit.com/showpost.php?p=94845&postcount=1

So it wasn't necessarily consecutive and it was 15 minutes.

My guess is a high level MAG guy can probably do around 40 strict, give or take 10. Also depends on getting them to actually do it.

and what about girls/women?