Find results in...

A confused noob

Barboy

Hey guys!

I'm kind of a beginner. My stats are:

Pull ups (just outside shoulder width) -> 8 max reps

Dips (way below 90 degree) -> 15 max reps

Straight handstand -> max 10 seconds

I've fallen in love with bodyweight training, it's so much better than other kind of training. It feels so spiritual as well for some odd reason...

Well anyway.. My long term goal is having beast pull and pushing, basically upper body strength, and being able to easily perform skills such as front lever, side lever, back lever, L- V-sits, hanstand push ups, etc. :)

But for now, my goal is to up my reps with pull ups and dips (basics) and developing a strong core to be able to starts with my first floor L-sit and from there develop to more advanced skills.

But how do I do it?? And at what rep range for pull up and dips should I satisfy with to advance to harder exercises?

For core, I know gymnastics do lots of hollow body position for basics, but at the same time the best street workout guys, who are able to amazing things with the help of their core, never talks about it? They always recommend hanging knee raises.

How can I set up a good routine to achieve my short term goals? All I have been doing so far is just do pull ups, neutral grip, chin ups, some wide pull ups, and lots of dips.

And hanging knee raises on stall bars.

I know that mastering the basics is important, which is my I'm focusing on them. :)

Mikkel Ravn

We have all had that bewildered feeling of how to progress, when there are so many variables to deal with. For me and many others, the answer has been the Foundation and Handstand series. If you're not able to buy these products, try searching for the killroy routine on this forum.

Ivan Pavlovic

Hey guys!

I'm kind of a beginner. My stats are:

Pull ups (just outside shoulder width) -> 8 max reps

Dips (way below 90 degree) -> 15 max reps

Straight handstand -> max 10 seconds

I've fallen in love with bodyweight training, it's so much better than other kind of training. It feels so spiritual as well for some odd reason...

Well anyway.. My long term goal is having beast pull and pushing, basically upper body strength, and being able to easily perform skills such as front lever, side lever, back lever, L- V-sits, hanstand push ups, etc. :)

But for now, my goal is to up my reps with pull ups and dips (basics) and developing a strong core to be able to starts with my first floor L-sit and from there develop to more advanced skills.

But how do I do it?? And at what rep range for pull up and dips should I satisfy with to advance to harder exercises?

For core, I know gymnastics do lots of hollow body position for basics, but at the same time the best street workout guys, who are able to amazing things with the help of their core, never talks about it? They always recommend hanging knee raises.

How can I set up a good routine to achieve my short term goals? All I have been doing so far is just do pull ups, neutral grip, chin ups, some wide pull ups, and lots of dips.

I know that mastering the basics is important, which is my I'm focusing on them. :)

When i was starting 7 months ago i use to do 3-4 sets of 5 pullups (my max. was 7), and dips also 3-4 sets of 7-8 dips (my max. was around 10). Now i can do 20 pullups and around 30 dips.

For core all i was doing was knee raises (until i see i can do full leg raises) and some planking. Today i can hold floor L-sit for 15-20 sec, back lever for 2 sec and almost can hold stradle front lever.

Just do the basics until you feel sore, but dont kill yourself :)

• Upvote 1

GoldenEagle

Thanks for you reply. I have tried find it but without success. Anyone who can give me the link? :)

You really didn't try very hard or do a really good job. The Killroy70 template thread is one the first two threads in this sub-forum it is one of two threads that are always at the top.

Hey guys!

1. But how do I do it?? And at what rep range for pull up and dips should I satisfy with to advance to harder exercises?

2) How can I set up a good routine to achieve my short term goals? All I have been doing so far is just do pull ups, neutral grip, chin ups, some wide pull ups, and lots of dips.

1) and 2) See the Killroy70 template for developing a routine otherwise start with Foundation 1-4

Regarding Hollow Body Position and Arch Body Position these are done, in addition to hanging leg raises, to make you so conditioned to being in the positions that you don't have to think about how to hold or what muscles have to be tightened when the positions are needed.

Ok, Ty. So I should use hollow body position after my leg raises? I wonder if it would give better results if I did hollow body in a greasing the groove style..

Ivan Pavlovic

Pal: did you do them sets every day?

Paf* :D

Yes, i was doing this every day, except days when I feel tired, then i take a rest.

GoldenEagle

Ok, Ty. So I should use hollow body position after my leg raises? I wonder if it would give better results if I did hollow body in a greasing the groove style..

Hold hollow body position when ever you feel like doing it. Whether that is during your pull up sets, at the top position of your dips, on the floor. Hollow body position isn't just a mere abdominal exercise, it is a fundamental body position used in so many different things. (For example: Handstands, ring support hold, front Lever, maybe back lever. Competitive swimmers use a variation of hollow body hold.)

• Upvote 1