Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Ring swing shoulder flexibility

Ryan Trainor

Ryan Trainor

Hi everyone,

I've been on the rings for a few years now and it takes me about 15 minutes even after warming up to be able to swing without my anterior deltoids hurting (more medially near the joint). I've previously separated both of my shoulders snowboarding (grade 2s) and my shoulder flexibility is still terrible although I've been putting more and more time into developing it. After about 15 minutes of light swinging I can open up on the rings and it feels good but recently my shoulders have been really sore for the next few days. I'm guessing I should stop swinging for a bit but are there other exercises I can do to help my situation?

At the moment, I make sure I do a 10-15 minute warmup prior to rings and I also do the straight-arm shoulder stretch with arms next to ears. I'm going to also start doing the "broomstick handle" stretch and I saw another post about doing stretches on wall bars that seemed useful.

Thanks!

I used to have my boys do skin the cats before they started ring swings. For the weaker younger guys, they would basically swing into the skin the cat and get to the bottom then pull out with a spot if need be.

Coach Sommer

The active shoulder mobility from H1 is what you need and what I used with my own athletes.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Ryan Trainor

Hey Blairbob - yeah skin the cats are great for warming up! I've definitely been thinking about getting H1 - you've given me another good reason Coach Sommer, thanks!