Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Can I continue w/ Crossfit?

Emanuel Plotnikov

Emanuel Plotnikov

I've been doing Crossfit now for about 3 months as a means of getting back into shape and I got a friend to start the program with me as we've both been complaining about being fat and out of shape. Although it's helped I'm not totally sold on everything about it and wanted to begin with this F1 & H1. 

The problem I have is my friend. I'm worried that my buddy might stop with the schedule we've kept and lose motivation if I stop and I don't want that to happen. As it is now, I work my gym schedule around his time frames to keep him motivated and at it. He actually seems to be totally buying into the whole CF thing which I guess is good in that it may keep him working out. In the meanwhile I feel I should continue on with it for a few more months at the least keep him motivated.

I understand from other threads that the best practice is if I stopped other programs while doing this one to insure I don't over train but how bad of an idea would it be if I continued to do the CF thing for a few months while I started w/ F1/H1? Is it something that I should avoid at all costs and not consider starting yet? Would it not be that bad especially in the beginning? Is it doable with a little tweaking? I'd rather not put it off and although the CF thing is ok for general conditioning and getting me stronger than I am now, it's not really building any real strength as it doesn't spend enough time focusing specific things.

It's also not an option in trying to convince him to quite that and start this.  

I think it will be hard to share between F1/H1 and CF especially because of CF random programming. This depends on your gym's CF programming though.

If I were you, I'd try to limit your days of CF based on what program schedule you choose.

If you are young with good ability to recover, you could try doing the gymnastics some time in the day before the CF and sorta not push the CF WOD intensity wise.

3 days isn't a lot but again it's really hard to balance out programming if there is random and you don't want to end up trying to cherry pick which days to go based on the WOD.

You could try splitting it up during the day but that requires the ability to have a schedule that allows it.

Kevin Haimann

Well I can tell you that it definitly is possible.

That shit random programming for the non-educated users/clients really is a problem.

I can only encourage you to build an own Plan, even together with your friend an subsitute some of your gymnastics work with traditional CF Skill work for him. You then can still do Metcons or even better short and heavy WODs, but choose your exercises wisely.

Normally it should'nt be a problem to arrange with your boxowner.

I say these things because this is exactly what i am doing.

But be aware as i am more advanced in Strength Training as I was a Powerlifter between Age 16-18 an hit things like 2x BW Squat and the like.

Currently i am Training 8 Units a week with a total time of about 10-11 hours. But this definitly needs a very detailed programming.

However progress can become really fast IF you take your work serious and over all do the Mobility work Necessary.

Having been at a PLer gym, 2xBW is not really PLing awesome. I'm not even talking about squat suits and wide squats. 

Just because you have done Squat, Bench, Dead makes you a PLer. Competing at a PL meet makes you a PLer.