Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Set/Reps question about Integrated Training

RogueSpirit

RogueSpirit

Hey everyone,

Im sure these are newb questions but I cant find the answers anywhere on the forum.

I want to do the Steady State Integrated Training(SSIT) that Coach recommends on page 178 of BtGB. The questions are...

A) Are you doing the work in the A1,A2 fashion like in EDT? (Ex. A1- Embedded Planche, rest, A2-PPPU, rest, repeat)

B) He also mentions keeping the sets/reps in a low volume approach (ex. 2-3 sets of 3-5 reps) but how do you combine this aproach when also tring to the the static hold time (ex. max time devide by 2 and that many sets to get to 60seconds total)?

Im sure he doesn"t mean if it take you 10 sets of 6 seconds to also be paired with 10 sets of embedded with the FBE pairing. Or does he?

C) How would you organize your weeky plan following the SSIT with similar exercises to avoid over uses. By that I mean do you one day do PPPU, next do HSPU, then Dips, repeat? What about doign things like the HSPU wall runs...where would they fit in?

Also, if you're training for a one arm pull up and muscle up, what about overtraining and elbow tendonitis?

I really am stuck with these questions and would love some feed back. I also have to consider that I'm a massage therapist and already have to be careful with my wrists and elbows just to stay in business.

Hi Roguespirit,

As far as I am aware:

Yes it is a pairing approach similar to EDT. Antagonists in this case. You then place the half max statics before the appropriate strength exercises for example:

A1 Planche rest Pushup variation

REST

A2 Back lever rest Row variation

REST

Repeat this until all sets are completed.

Follow the rotation of planes of movement throughout the week described in the book.hope this helps a bit. :)

Regards, Rob.

RogueSpirit

Thanks for the clarity Rob,

I had an idea about that question and I guess I should have put a priority on my questions. Question B was the one Im most confused with. Second was question C.

I also reembered another question I wanted to add to my original post but couldn't remember it. That question is:

Coach recommends the split like M/T Th/Fr. Where would you fit in conditioning work such as hill sprints and KB swings without doing too much and burning out?

I work out 6 days a week with sprint interval training generally on my days in between my strength training and with 1 day of total rest. Depends on how intense your training is but they can even be done on the same day. You have to work pretty dam hard to overtrain your body so I wouldn't worry too much as long as you build up your workout time and intensity gradually and take note of what your body is telling you. The workout pattern you mentioned is only that - a suggestion, if you're body is feeling tired then 3 strength days per week is fine with maybe an extra static hold day added.

It's really a case of trying it, listening to your body and see how you go from there. :)

Jason Stein

My friend,

I can share a little of my experiences following the GB WODs plus some conditioning work.

For a period of time I was training perhaps 3 Xfit WODs in addition to M-T-Th-F GB WODs. Here are a few observations:

1. The strength training aspects generally (but not always) tend to fall on T or F --- ideally allowing for recovery the next day.

2. For a few months, I often fit in bodyweight Xfit WODs following the GB WODs. My observation was that my performance immediately following (say 10-20 minutes) GB WODs was often reduced, i.e. I had increased overall times and perceived effort, especially if the GB WOD had been a ring strength workout, either ring routine or ring HS holds.

3. The Xfit met-con WODs went down better on Wed-Sat, that is, the days after the GB WOD.

4. Watch out for "jack of all trades" syndrome --- you'll wind up master of none. My practice has gradually become one of attempting to work one or two complex skills that have the maximum carryover to other endeavours.

5. I say this because I was also following Pavel's Fighter Pull-up rep scheme as well as back-squatting and deadlifting at the same time. Whew. Anyways, if your strict pull-up volume increases and you throw in GB WODs and Xfit WODs, you can expect some elbow soreness.

6. I practice with a friend (who posts here also) who does more traditional sprint intervals and running work --- maybe he'll share his thoughts of several months of GB WODs mixed with sprint work and O-lifting.

best,

jason

Mark Weaver

RogueSpirit

In answer to question B, here's an example of what I do.

I hold the tuck planche for 10 seconds, rest about 20, and then do another ten seconds. Then I do my one set of 3-5 reps of my daily press. I repeat that three times, so that I get my 60 seconds of planche work, and 3 sets of 3-5 reps of my press.

I repeat the same thing with the BL, the FL, and the L-sit. The rep times vary for the different static exercise, based on my max time, but I generally do about 20 seconds of static work, and then one set of the appropriate dynamic exercise.

This was my understanding of how to pair them up.

Mark