Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Higher Pullups

Jeff Walker

Jeff Walker

How Do I get Higher Pullups. I cant really get past clavicle.  Should I work on Explosive pullups or Wtd Pullups or any other ideas?

Alessandro Mainente

increase the leverage widening the grip. no explosive movements without basic strength.

Connor Davies

so A wider grip would get me a higher pullup?

Not at first.  In my experience, widening the grip shortens the ROM considerably.

But eventually....

Douglas Wadle

What makes a high pullup vs a low pullup?  It is the activation and strength of your back muscles, particularly the serratus and the lats.  A basic pullup uses a little lats, and a lot of arms.  The best way to increase your pullup height is to train progressions that make you train your serratus and lats to a higher degree.  all of a sudden, pop! you're flying up to the chest on your pullups.  I concur w/ Alex, get the strength basis, then add the dynamic aspects, o/w injury will follow.  

• Upvote 1

Travis Widmann

I'm going to beat the dead horse here and say that Foundaion gave me sternum-to-bar pullups, almost to the bottom of my chest. And I'm not even close to the pull-up portion of the course, still on rows. I was pretty excited when I played around with pull-ups after some time with F1 and found myself shooting higher than I've ever pulled before without explicitly trying.

Reading Nordic's comment, I guess that makes sense. Foundation really works the serratus and lats intensely, not just in the pulling, but in the planche progressions as well. So maybe training those aspects will work for you, I don't know.

• Upvote 1

GoldenEagle

When you have grabbed the bar or your rings rotate your arm in such a way that your elbows don't flare out to the side.

As you pull yourself up do your best to keep your elbows near the side of your body as you reach the top position pull your elbows back like you are doing a row. Maintaining scapular depression as best as you can will help.

The full range of motion will be: a pull/chin up combined with a row.

GoldenEagle

That is helpful  So focus on rowing at the top of pullup

Essentially, yes. The further back you can pull your elbows the higher up you will get.

Watch the first 1 minute 45 seconds of this video.

All in one smooth motion is better than getting to the top position and then switching to a row.

Rotating your arms and keeping your elbows close to the sides of your body is the key to the full range of motion.

You will pull yourself higher as your lats develop more strength. The first time I tried what I mentioned, I managed to pull up to the bottom of my sternum.

• Upvote 1

Connor Davies

What makes a high pullup vs a low pullup?  It is the activation and strength of your back muscles, particularly the serratus and the latsRhomboids.

Fixed.

Douglas Wadle

Don't mean to be a nitpicker bipocni, but while rhomboids are important for getting height in your pull up, most people's greatest area of weakness that prevents them from getting up there is the serratus posterior. L pull-ups have helped me get more height than any other exercises, and I could be wrong but I'd bet the degree of rhomboid activation is fairly low, and serratus is fairly high in that exercise.

I'm glad to be proved wrong if that be the case, but I thought your way of presenting your thoughts was rather rude.

• Upvote 3

Serratus posterior connects spine to ribs doesn't it? Cant see how that would help with pull up height. Not saying it doesnt just dont know. According to the Google they aid in turning the torso.

Matthew Proulx

Don't mean to be a nitpicker bipocni, but while rhomboids are important for getting height in your pull up, most people's greatest area of weakness that prevents them from getting up there is the serratus posterior. L pull-ups have helped me get more height than any other exercises, and I could be wrong but I'd bet the degree of rhomboid activation is fairly low, and serratus is fairly high in that exercise.

I'm glad to be proved wrong if that be the case, but I thought your way of presenting your thoughts was rather rude.

I think you are right, ever since I have been doing Lpulls I pull much higher. Which makes sense because when your serratus posterior is fully contracted its much easier to pull the elbows down and back near the top. I watched a Poliquin video where he says, pull with your lats, then pull with your elbows. Most people don't focus on that pull with their elbows really.

Jeff Walker

So I tried some L Pullups today and I noticed that they have definitely a completely different feel to them.  Unlike Any other pullup Ive done.   I felt a stretch in the serratus anterior (not posterior) because of the weight being in front of the body.  I also felt like I had a great (strong) contraction at the top of the pullup, i'm not sure how to explain this, Like it lock in at the top of the pullup.  I was only able to get in sets of 3-4 of them, this was end of my workout.  My working sets of pullups are usually Falsge grip on Rings so I might try False grip L pullups on the rings.

I liked them thats for sure.  

Connor Davies

......There's a serratus posterior now?

• Upvote 1

Kevin Haimann

Make your anatomy homework guys ;).

From my experience it is the Lack of the ability to pull the elbows further behind the back which is a lack of extension strength in the glenohumeral joint,. That is IF you can allready control your scapula right.

In small this is a Part of the problem, why transitioning through a MU is hard or pushing the hips forword in a HMSH/MSH.

It might even be a lack of flexibility though...

So pull up with scapula retracted, where on the top you get to a row, pulling your elbows back?

GoldenEagle

So pull up with scapula retracted, where on the top you get to a row, pulling your elbows back?

No. Scapula depressed. If you have your arm rotated correctly before you start your pull ups or chin ups you won't need to start pulling your elbows back at the top, it just happens. The stronger you become the further back your elbows go.

Jeff Walker

So Dpress scapula and then bign pulling?

I tried to do a Muscle up from an L hang  here is the video.  Im still struggling with the transition and trying not to cheat through it. 

Ive also started doing L pullups on the rings I hope this helps.  

• Upvote 1

Connor Davies

Huh.  So it lies underneath the rhomboids....  So while they're taking all the credit, there's these sneaky little muscles that are either doing all the real work, or being left out of the equation and holding you back.....

Wow, now I just look like an asshole.