Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

TPP scapula cues

Chrono

When I do my tuck planche pushups , should I keep my scapula protracted during the push up ? if so , does someone have any cues on how to do it, because when I do pushups my scapula retract at the bottom naturally

Alessandro Mainente

You need a lot of strength to protract at the bottom. if you can't you lack on serratus anterior strength and you need to focus on adequate variation.

You need a lot of strength to protract at the bottom. if you can't you lack on serratus anterior strength and you need to focus on adequate variation.

So the correct form is with protraction during the whole pushup ?

So the correct form is with protraction during the whole pushup ?

Full protraction may not be possible at the bottom, but you can be very close to full protraction though. It doesn't really matter if you are retracted at the bottom, as long as you can reach full protraction at the top. Just try to maintain as much protraction as possible throughout the push-up.

• Upvote 1

ForzaCavaliere

I think it's good to retract the scapulae on the negative portion of a pushup (in regards to rehabilitation). 

But if you want to emulate higher difficulty exercises which require protracted shoulders then try your best to keep them protracted, I think.

Coach Sommer

I think it's good to retract the scapulae on the negative portion of a pushup (in regards to rehabilitation). 

This is incorrect.  

While it is not possible to maintain full protraction at the bottom of a planche pushup, you should strive to maintain as much protraction/depression as you can.  

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

• Upvote 3

Daniel Burnham

This is incorrect.

While it is not possible to maintain full protraction at the bottom of a planche pushup, you should strive to maintain as much protraction/depression as you can.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

The reason for this becomes infinitely clear during a hollow body press.

• Upvote 1

Eric HARDOUIN

Would it be right to say you wish to activate upper-back muscles (traps etc) AS if you were retracted (where they're easier fo feel), for stability purpose, BUT with protraction ? (With depression at the same time...)

ForzaCavaliere

This is incorrect.  

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Thank you for the correction, looks like I've been doing push-ups wrong.

Douglas Wadle

Coincidence bent arm planche is a mobility element.... Hmmmm....

wow...suddenly making sense.  It's one of those epiphany moments, why didn't i think of that!