Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Preparing for long day!

Talal Aldoub

Talal Aldoub

Hello guys,

excuse my poor language in the beggning. i really want to throw this subject to learn what you guys have to share and suggestions what would would you do.

I have a long day of tournament gaelic games and its like kicks it kicks in one day from 8am-6pm in rugby field my question is what can i get my self to keep fuel always up and i dont burn too fast.

regards,

P.S

if you talk about carbs or protien..ect would you put some example like what in specific

Karl-Erik Karlsen

What kind of exercises are included in that kind of tournament? And it's a 10-hour challenge? What kind of training do you normally do and what does your regular nutrition look like?

Talal Aldoub

i am 5,9 (174cm) 85kg its almost like rugby game called gaelic (irlish football) this is actully my second tournament to do but i remember the first one i burn too fast and in my third game around 11-12, training i do F1 and H1 including training for the games

well i'll be in different country as the tournament will be hosting there, so ill try to prepare before traveling to make sure i get what i need. could be breaks between the 10 hours like hour or less.

Frankincensed

Wouldn't train much the few days before the event. Allow your body to recover. Just perhaps warm up the day before to stay loose.

It sounds like a pretty carby event, so for the few days before eat a few more servings of whatever carbs you usually eat. I don't know what's available in your area. Chickpeas are great. Rice.  Pita/Nan - so your glycogen is topped off. I mean you could go through a depletion and loading protocol however that might be overkill and risky if you hadn't done that before.

During the event,  you certainly want to have liquids with sugar (glucose possibly some sucrose) and eletrolytes every so often, during short breaks.  Generally you'll want to restore what you sweat off (you might not pee much).

A fruit certainly is ok but would avoid vegetables. Energy bars, gel tubes could do in a pinch.

If you are going to have a meal break keep it light with fast digesting foods (not heavy meat meal for example).  A sandwich or protein bar might be ok if there's 30-45 minutes. If you have trail mix or granola you don't choke on,  that's ok too. However if there are no meal breaks a shake could do. You don't have to obsess about protein intake, however if you weren't getting any I would be inclined to add a small amount of whey to my sports drink as Josh recommends. That said, if you aren't used to doing that now, don't start the day of the tournament.

Talal Aldoub

Frankie, thanks for the info. I was actually thinking to stop my cycle and jump into next deloading of the mircoycle a week before the event.

But can you explain why avoiding the vigitables? And do I avoid just in the event day or a few days too while loading the cards.

Just knew there is some bad carbs like "pasta, bread " anything else to make sure I don't have them.

Fat like peanut butter, avocado didn't mention should also stay away.

Regards,

Frankincensed

Yeah take it easy right before.

Just suggesting avoiding vegetables during that morning and during the competition.  They can be bloating and cause gas, and the fiber will slow down digestion which isn't good if running about a lot. Potatoes might be ok though, mashed probably.  They are fine the day before and afterwards.

I'm not saying bread or pasta is bad even from a performance point of view - it's fine unless you are gluten sensistive/intolerant.  If it's part of a meal it's fine as it's pretty easy digesting (bread easier than pasta). Wouldn't stuff yourself during a meal break of course. Some fat is fine during a competition meal, especially if you are burning tons of calories. But again, in moderation. A couple tablespoonsof PB or half a small avacodo. Something like that. Small amounts of anything I'm personally ok handling.

It's hard to generalize and to be honest I'm out of my element dealing with an all day event. I'm just trying to convey general principles rather than specifics, as I'm not aware of the specifics in your case exactly. You have to know what your body is comfortable dealing with during activity, what slows you down and how long it takes to get your energy level back.

Talal Aldoub

That's great! I think it's really helpful what you share and I got the general idea thanks a lot!!

GoldenEagle

Plenty of fruit through out the day of the tournament. Fairly ripe bananas, dates, figs and other fruits that are easily digestible with plenty of simple carbohydrates.

• Like 1

Important Information

Please review our Privacy Policy at Privacy Policy before using the forums.