Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Training for Side Splits

Mats Trane

Hi everyone

I´m doing great progress on my front splits (almost all the way down) but with my Side splits I´m not making good progress.

Whats the way to go? any tips?

I´m aware of that it will take time and I´m willing to spend it.

I'm in the opposite boat. I'm less than 1 inch away from being all the way down with my side, but not going anywhere with my front (probably because I don't have much motivation to stretch the front). Anyways I warm up very early in the morning, then do dynamic stretches with my legs, like swinging one leg at a time side to side while standing. Then I stretch them by going 85%-90% down as far as I can where it's still comfortable, as I inhale. Then I very slowly exhale as I push all the way down as far as I can handle. I repeat this for a few minutes. Usually I do this while holding to a table or something in front of me. Also I believe this method only develops passive flexibility, and so I also train horse stances right after, which I've been told is very important. Personally, I only do this 0-2 times a week, which is why it has taken me 1 year to get this far. But I made the most progress during the weeks when I'd practice 3-4 times every other day.

Hello, I have not yet accomplished side splits, but one exercise has helped me very well:

split switches

Here you switch from a front split (eg with your left leg in front of you) to the other side (a front split with the right leg in front of you).

After a few repetitions, you may also do 10 or 20 reps, side splits go a lot easier.

Hope you canunderstand what I mean,

my English is not that good...

greetings