Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

How many pull-ups and leg lifts equal a 16ft rope climb in L-position

lisiflex

Title says it pretty much.

How many pull-ups and leg lifts equal a 16ft rope climb in L-position?
I would say it might be around 10 deadhang pull-ups and 10-20 leg L to V lifts on stall bars. May I be right?

An one more question:
Where in the F courses would I need to be to be able to do an advanced tuck planche, V-Sit  and rope climb without hands? Let's say 12ft? 

I am asking because I would like to learn these skills. But I think if I train for them, I might get them quicker than with F courses, but I won't get a good overall strength and muscle imbalances!
ut if it's going to take 6 years...that would be super long!

So that is why I am asking :)

Mikkel Ravn

Title says it pretty much.

How many pull-ups and leg lifts equal a 16ft rope climb in L-position?

I would say it might be around 10 deadhang pull-ups and 10-20 leg L to V lifts on stall bars. May I be right?

An one more question:

Where in the F courses would I need to be to be able to do an advanced tuck planche, V-Sit  and rope climb without hands? Let's say 12ft? 

I am asking because I would like to learn these skills. But I think if I train for them, I might get them quicker than with F courses, but I won't get a good overall strength and muscle imbalances!

ut if it's going to take 6 years...that would be super long!

So that is why I am asking :)

If you began rope climbing right away without proper preparation, you would probably get elbow tendonitis - The one armed negatives are elbow killers, unless you did your homework. Speaking from experience, tendonitis takes a long time to recover completely from. We are talking years, and even then, you'll always be more susceptible to getting tendonitis again, than a person who has never had the injury.

Personally, the rope climb progressions are easier, relatively speaking, than the other progressions, and it's taken me roughly a year to work halfway through them, so six years is way off. Just get cracking, and you'll be at rope climb in roughly two years - Which incidentally is about the same time it take to (almost) recover from a bad case of tendonitis. Which do you choose?

Oh, and by the way - What is a 'rope climb without hands'? ;)

• Upvote 1

If you began rope climbing right away without proper preparation, you would probably get elbow tendonitis - The one armed negatives are elbow killers, unless you did your homework. Speaking from experience, tendonitis takes a long time to recover completely from. We are talking years, and even then, you'll always be more susceptible to getting tendonitis again, than a person who has never had the injury.

Personally, the rope climb progressions are easier, relatively speaking, than the other progressions, and it's taken me roughly a year to work halfway through them, so six years is way off. Just get cracking, and you'll be at rope climb in roughly two years - Which incidentally is about the same time it take to (almost) recover from a bad case of tendonitis. Which do you choose?

Oh, and by the way - What is a 'rope climb without hands'? ;)

Haha, never heard of that?!  No, sorry, that was a mistake :)

Ok, thank you. I do not really want to do straddle planches or levers. 

But I read many post here that say it will take you approx 4-6 years to achieve F1-F4. So as rope climb is one of them, and I  thought it will also take that long!

I planned to do F1+F2 only. I am in a tumbling class as well. We barely do conditioning, the girls at my age can not even do one single pull up, but the trainers let us climb the rope anyways, that's really annoying!

So I wanted to train strength and conditioning for my own. I can already do 4-5 good pull-ups and about 4 full hanging leg lifts on stall bars. Will F1+F2 get me to 10 pull-ups, 20 hanging leg lifts on stall bars and a 15ft rope climb in L-position or will I need to go all the way to F4 for that?

Thank you!

Joshua Slocum

F4 will not take 4-6 years unless you have massive mobility and/or strength deficits. Coach Sommer has estimated that healthy, focused adults should take 2-3 years (I think a person might need one year more if they're completely new to GST and don't have hands-on instruction).

F2 will get you to all of your listed goals other than the rope climb and V-sit. Both of those you would probably be able to do some time in F3 or F4. 

• Upvote 2

Matthew Barrett

You will be able to climb a 12' rope long before you finish the Rope Climb elements.  Coach's mastery for the rope climb is significantly more demanding.

• Upvote 1

Coach Sommer

Unfortunately there are no amount of pull-ups and leg lifts which can equal the training effect of actual rope climbing.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

• Upvote 4

Alessandro Mainente

it is something that rally i cannot understand , people are searching for "how many reps equals another skill" or how many seconds of a skill i need to pass to the following. and if you tell to them a reasonable number they will train ONLY for it.

A skill is a natural process composed by a reasonable steps of increasing load and stress. since a year i prefer to talk in terms of you need at least 20 preparatory exercises instead of quantity of reps and seconds. this clear out all doubts.

• Upvote 3

GoldenEagle

Divide 16ft (192 inches or 487.68cm) by length of one arm(Top of you shoulder to the middle of your hand).

The answer you get will be the total number of one armed pull ups you will need to do, to simulate climbing to the top of a 16ft rope once without using your feet.

*Footnote: The above assumes one is starting the rope climb at the very bottom of the rope. Rather than standing next to the rope with the very bottom end of the rope at your feet.

• Upvote 1

Divide 16ft (192 inches or 487.68cm) by length of one arm(Top of you shoulder to the middle of your hand).

The answer you get will be the total number of one armed pull ups you will need to do, to simulate climbing to the top of a 16ft rope once without using your feet.

*Footnote: The above assumes one is starting the rope climb at the very bottom of the rope. Rather than standing next to the rope with the very bottom end of the rope at your feet.

Thank you!

But I find it a lot easier to climb a rope than doing one arm pull-ups, because I am only taking very small "steps" and never go into full deadhang on the rope!

• Upvote 1

Connor Davies

Yeah in a rope climb you're switching hands, so there's a pretty substantial grip element to it.  Also I tried some foot-supported-rope-climbs and rope chinups the other day, and while they weren't taxing on my muscles at all they were hell on my elbows.  Remember gymnasts use them as elbow prep for more serious ring skills, so don't underestimate how hard they hit your joints.

But basically they're completely different from pullups.  You really can't compare the two.

What I find really interesting though, is that you want to achieve an advanced tuck planche but not a straddle planche.  This logic makes no sense to me.  Surely you'd want to take the thing as far as you can?  Otherwise, why are you even training planche in the first place?

• Upvote 2

You do not need one arm pullups to climb a rope without your feet.

Anyways, 10 solid pullups should get you a decent rope climb.

• Upvote 1

Anyways, 10 solid pullups should get you a decent rope climb.

Thank you! Ok, because I know a girl and she is very good at rope climbing, but is able to do probably 12 good pull-ups. Thank you!

Yeah in a rope climb you're switching hands, so there's a pretty substantial grip element to it.  Also I tried some foot-supported-rope-climbs and rope chinups the other day, and while they weren't taxing on my muscles at all they were hell on my elbows.  Remember gymnasts use them as elbow prep for more serious ring skills, so don't underestimate how hard they hit your joints.

But basically they're completely different from pullups.  You really can't compare the two.

What I find really interesting though, is that you want to achieve an advanced tuck planche but not a straddle planche.  This logic makes no sense to me.  Surely you'd want to take the thing as far as you can?  Otherwise, why are you even training planche in the first place?

Because I actually love press handstands and stuff, I am totally obsessed with it! but planches and levers, I don't know, I somehow think they are something for the male gender  :P 

And I think it will take ages to learn, but a lot of stress on the shoulders and wrists and yeah.... so if I will be able to do am advanced tucked one, I will be satisfied...

Is there a big difference between the advanced tucked and the straddle one?

GoldenEagle

No kidding. I only mentioned one arm pull ups due to the hand over hand aspect of climbing a rope.

I can climb a rope without using my feet.

Connor Davies

Depending on individual anthropometry straddle can be twice as hard.  Remember if you double the lever arm, you double the weight.  Physics! ^_^

Planche, front lever ect probably come across as 'male' because they're competitive elements in MAG, whereas women don't compete in them.  But they're still definitely worth training for.  I remember seeing a picture of a girl doing a back lever....  F-ing incredible.

Mind you press handstands and the like will give you pretty decent shoulder/core strength as it is, so you may not find it necessary to train for planche at all.  But this is probably all a moot point, because as a species we're not really wired to stay content.  Once you get your advanced tuck planche, you'll be looking around going "okay, what's next?"  Pretty sure you'll end up training for a straddle planche anyway once you get there, regardless of your intentions now....

• Upvote 1

Because I actually love press handstands and stuff, I am totally obsessed with it! but planches and levers, I don't know, I somehow think they are something for the male gender  :P 

And I think it will take ages to learn, but a lot of stress on the shoulders and wrists and yeah.... so if I will be able to do am advanced tucked one, I will be satisfied...

Yeah there's a huge difference...

Advanced tuck doesn't look cool. :(

• Upvote 2

Depending on individual anthropometry straddle can be twice as hard.  Remember if you double the lever arm, you double the weight.  Physics! ^_^

Planche, front lever ect probably come across as 'male' because they're competitive elements in MAG, whereas women don't compete in them.  But they're still definitely worth training for.  I remember seeing a picture of a girl doing a back lever....  F-ing incredible.

Mind you press handstands and the like will give you pretty decent shoulder/core strength as it is, so you may not find it necessary to train for planche at all.  But this is probably all a moot point, because as a species we're not really wired to stay content.  Once you get your advanced tuck planche, you'll be looking around going "okay, what's next?"  Pretty sure you'll end up training for a straddle planche anyway once you get there, regardless of your intentions now....

Hmm, maybe you are right! But I think advanced tuck planche will take me ages and I don't think I will ever be able to do a straddle planche!