Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Help with my routine

gogy

I do 4-5 times a week ring training and I practice on outdoor rings. I am doing this kind of exercise for 6 months and all together on rings 9 months. 

Ring routine

Warm up:

- 4x hold in plank (foot on rings, hands on floor)

- 4x swinings support holds (45 sec)

- 4x lever hold both legs on bar, hands on ring (45 sec)

- 4x inverted hang hold (45 sec)

Active:

-4x push ups 20 reps (foot on rings, hands on floor)

-4x dips 10 reps

-4x inverted push ups (legs on bar, hands on ring) 10 reps

-4x pull ups 10 reps

-4x skin a cat 5 reps

My aim is to achive iron cross, handstand with straight arms, both back and front lever and planche on rings.

I practice for iron cros with elastic band which i press with my legs, so its a bit easier and handstand I can achive with my hands bend not straight.

Hope you can give me some tips to put in my training routine

Connor Davies

Add more horizontal pulling.

Stop training for iron cross just yet. Master RTO support hold, then ring handstand, and then preferably planche but that's not 100% necessary. This progression path come from Coach, there's a thread somewhere about it that I think is public domain.

Handstands alone are pretty hard on your elbows, so master turning the rings out in a support hold for at least 60 seconds before you start training them.

• Upvote 1

Joshua Slocum

You have no mobility work. Mobility work is absolutely essential for success in GST.  

How is your floor handstand? Your handstand on floor should be rock-solid before you begin serious rings handstand work. Also, as Bipocni said, it's quite strenuous on the elbows, so mastering a support hold first would be wise. 

What's your strategy for progressing? When do you increase sets/reps? When do you decide to move on to a harder exercise? Making progress requires that you have a plan for improving. 

Finally, if you haven't already, I'd recommend taking a look at the Foundation and Handstand series. They are chock-full of excellent programming. 

• Upvote 1

I do horizontal pulls with my legs on bar, thats what I meant with inverted pushups. About handstand I am very bad with hand stand at floor, can hold it for few seconds. I don't know how to progress my trainings, that is why I am asking you guys for some advice, I have foundation 1 from coach summer. I practice front lever with one leg bend and can easilly hold it, but with both legs straight I cant hold front lever. My goals atm are front and back lever and planche :/ 

Joshua Slocum

If you have Foundation, then why not scrap your current routine and follow F1? Add in some floor handstand work on top of that - H1 if you can afford it. If you're worried about losing strength, then do some maintenance work twice a week. 1-2 light to medium sets of the elements you want to keep up on. 

• Upvote 1

I'll listen to you guys, I attempted now iron cross with elastic band on leg, almost badly injured my elbow and wrist on right hand, as I went too deep into it. I felt little pain, now is ok :/ I will start following F1, I did a bit in summer, but workouts in F1 were a bit short for me, I like to do 2-3 hours workouts and not that intensive :/

Thank you for all advices, gymnastic class I can't afford its around 80 usd per month :/

Timothy Aiken

Foundation is short, but you'll make more strength and mobility gains in your ~30 minute sessions than you ever would with your 2-3 hour workouts.

• Upvote 1

GoldenEagle

Add more horizontal pulling.

Stop training for iron cross just yet. Master RTO support hold, then ring handstand, and then preferably planche but that's not 100% necessary. This progression path come from Coach, there's a thread somewhere about it that I think is public domain.

Handstands alone are pretty hard on your elbows, so master turning the rings out in a support hold for at least 60 seconds before you start training them.

Adding to the above:

Do your best to keep your arms off of the straps and or rings. You are only keeping yourself from becoming stronger if you keep your arms pressed against the rings and straps. Sure you are gaining some additional strength. However not as much as you would if you kept your arms off of the straps and rings.

• Upvote 1

Connor Davies

Adding to the above:

Do your best to keep your arms off of the straps and or rings. You are only keeping yourself from becoming stronger if you keep your arms pressed against the rings and straps. Sure you are gaining some additional strength. However not as much as you would if you kept your arms off of the straps and rings.

Adding to the above:

Putting your feet on the rings is fine with handstand holds, at least initially.  If all you're concerned with is strength development and not skill development, that is.

• Upvote 2