Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

My Press Handstand Progress Before H2

Mats Trane

This is my Press Handstand progress so far. Its gotten better through the years, but looking forward to improve it with H2. Starting H2 right from the beginning this week. Can´t wait.

• Upvote 4

Connor Davies

Looking good Mats.  Mikael might have a thing or two to say about it...  But I'm impressed. 

I noticed that your shoulders get more open with each video.

Thanks! Yes I was hoping Mikael would put in a word or two. :)

In the beginning it was just trial and error. I wish I would have had H2 right from the start. I learned some filthy habits in the beginning thats taken some time to get rid of. The real eye-opener came after a seminar where Coach and Dillon taught us to start with box-press handstand. I had done these before BUT with the "box" waayy to low. Their box was almost high/tall as my self!! This forced me to learn the traps. If you watch the early videos in the clips there is not much trap action + another MAJOR fault is that I´m "planching" into handstand.

Then of course there is alot mobility work put in like pike stretch and the pancake stretch.

Another thing that has helped me is reading Handbalancers post here on the forum.

Timothy Aiken

Handstand line in the second to last clip was perty! As for the press, I'm no Handbalancer, but I'd say you need to open your shoulders more before initiating the lifting of the legs into the handstand.

Mikael Kristiansen

Definitive improvement, both on press and hs. This is an excellent case to see how the press reflects the handstand. The ones in the beginning with lots of lean end up with very closed shoulders in handstand. Form wise you werent actually planching it that much, even in the second one there. You lean, yes, but you rolled through your spine and stay shrugged to what ability you had. What to watch out for with the planching is when you lose shoulder position and roll up the back by arching rather than rounding.

The press and handstand in the last one is definitely the best one. The main improvement between that and the one before(red shorts), is that you arrive with open shoulders when your legs are at 90 degrees and then just close your legs on top. With the red shorts you come to handstand with closed shoulders and have to try to fix it from there.

Handstand wise there is a bit to do yet here. Some protraction lacking still, especially visible with red shorts. Straight line from hand to hips, but legs are over. If you had brought your legs to a straight directly over your hip, something would have to "allow" you to. Probably it would happen by shoulders moving forwards, or you would have to hollow out more by closing your chest to "give space", which is the efficient thing to do. 

In general good work and with time the presses will become effortless.

• Upvote 1

Definitive improvement, both on press and hs. This is an excellent case to see how the press reflects the handstand. The ones in the beginning with lots of lean end up with very closed shoulders in handstand. Form wise you werent actually planching it that much, even in the second one there. You lean, yes, but you rolled through your spine and stay shrugged to what ability you had. What to watch out for with the planching is when you lose shoulder position and roll up the back by arching rather than rounding.

The press and handstand in the last one is definitely the best one. The main improvement between that and the one before(red shorts), is that you arrive with open shoulders when your legs are at 90 degrees and then just close your legs on top. With the red shorts you come to handstand with closed shoulders and have to try to fix it from there.

Handstand wise there is a bit to do yet here. Some protraction lacking still, especially visible with red shorts. Straight line from hand to hips, but legs are over. If you had brought your legs to a straight directly over your hip, something would have to "allow" you to. Probably it would happen by shoulders moving forwards, or you would have to hollow out more by closing your chest to "give space", which is the efficient thing to do. 

In general good work and with time the presses will become effortless.

Thanks Mikael for your inputs i realy appriciate it! It's thanks to Coach and your very informative posts on the forum that I have made progression.
  • Upvote 2