Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

[Q]Training without rings/bar - how to do that/risk of imbalance?

Wegrzyn

Hi

I have started GB trainings a few months ago, but I've found a job, wich collides with trainings. I've got a lot of journeys, during wich I'm not able to do trainings with rings or bar.

And my question is: is there the point of training only on floor?

In hotel I have only floor for trainig. I can do exercices like handstand, planche, plank, L-sit, V-sit, manna, single leg squat etc.

I can't do pull-ups, muscle-ups, dips, front/back lever etc.

I wonder about risk of injuiry because of muscle imbalance. Doing this exercises, I will lay emphasis on:

- chest - not upper back

- triceps - not biceps

- abs - not lower back

Do I have right? Can it cause injuiries?

I used to train athletisc, and maybe I don't know, how do the these exercises impact on our bodies.

Lukas

Coach Sommer

No, it is not possible to train in this fashion without developing imbalances.  

Find a way to incorporate pulling work.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Bill Köhntopp

you could use a desk/doorframe for pulling stuff. there are some pull up bars you can lock above the doorframe without making damage :) you can also row under a table for example

Mike Taylor

Improvise, improvise...

Build yourself a grabbag of easily carried kit to create pulling opportunities. Rings are an obvious choice - they will fix to many single anchor points if you look hard enough.

Here is another example:

http://www.rosstraining.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69413

On your way to the hotel, look for pulling platforms. A whole trend has built up around bar athletics in the urban environment. Hotel gym with a running machine? Use the guide rails for fl work

Chop up your training so that all you pulling stuff can be done together, in its own seperate workout if needs be.

Yes, it is easy to say you can't do pulling work

More satisfying to find somewhere and do it anyway!

Good luck!

• Upvote 1

Connor Davies

.......I can do exercises like..... manna.....

O RLY?  B-)

I've heard a few times that a planche will work your lats somewhat, and I know open shoulders in a handstand can really work your rhomboids and traps.  Actually so does bridge work, which also works your spinal cord.  And a manna would also involve some retraction as well...

Realistically I think you could get some decent back work in, but you wouldn't be able to work the lats which is what most people think of when they think back.  So yeah, you'd get some pretty serious muscle imbalance.

Still, I have to wonder, if someone only trained the 4 exercises I mentioned above, how screwed would they be really?

ForzaCavaliere

I've got some ideas for exercises and the necessary opposite exercise to prevent muscular imbalances, which you can do with your lack of equipment. 

Pushups ---> Horizontal rows (can be done using a table... you should have a table in your room! ). 

Advanced variation: One Arm Pushup ---> One arm row 

Plank --> Reverse plank

L-sit/V-sit/Manna --> Straight Arm Press to HS (or planche, if you can).

Hollow body hold --> Arch body hold

And then add in single leg squats and whatever else you want for legs. There, that's about as balanced as you can get. Each exercise works the opposite muscles of the corresponding exercise. 

Good luck man.

• 4 weeks later...
Per Christian Narum

I have a the same problem. But most of the solutions for pulling exercises like using a table for rows does not work that well when you are over 6'3"

I wonder if there is any other tall guys aroud the forums that have found a good solution to this when travelling?

Daniel Burnham

Just go to the nearest gym?  Thats what I usually do.

I have also gone to a park close by.

At least in the US there are almost always several gyms nearby when I travel.  Even to very small cities.