Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Azarian

Dominic LeBlanc

Dominic LeBlanc

Hi guys, so I've been training cross for quite awhile now and I can do 1-2 cross pulls pretty consistently and can hold the position for at least 5 seconds. I would like to learn an azarian and have trained it with my arms resting on the rings for 3-5 reps. One problem I'm having is when I attempt it normally I always lose my false grip passing through inverted hang when training on the Xtreme Rings. I also train at a gym and I don't seem to have this problem on the wooden rings. I was wondering if anyone had any advice for this. Also if anyone has any drills I can do to improve the pull from backlever to cross I would really appreciate it. I've tried using just the straps on my arms but I can't seem to keep my arms straight and keep the straps where I want them on my forearm using this method.

Thanks alot!

• Upvote 1

GoldenEagle

If you can't do a standard Iron cross, you aren't ready for the Azaryan cross much less the Maltese or Victorian cross.

Start with Foundation 1 and work your way through Foundation 4 before starting Rings 1.

Rings 1 is where all of the iron cross training begins. Foundation 1-4 develops and or increase your muscular strength. In addition to help you develop the neuromuscular strength you need for the slanted iron cross (aka: Azaryan cross).

Here is a video where Albert Azaryan talks about the cross that is named after him.

Albert Azaryan: "Lord of the Rings"

Here is a video of Eduard Azaryan. The Azaryan cross is completed later in the routine. You will notice he rolls up into a standard iron cross. The Azaryan cross is completed toward the end of his routine. Once facing to the left and once to the right. Edward happens to roll up into support position and then lowers down into the Azaryan facing one direction and then presses back up to support before lowering back down to another Azaryan facing the other direction.

Azaryan Clips

Coach Sommer

Video first to confirm quality of the iron cross and cross pulls.  Then we can discuss the technical aspects of an azarian if warranted.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Daniel Burnham

If you can't do a standard Iron cross, you aren't ready for the Azaryan cross much less the Maltese or Victorian cross.

Start with Foundation 1 and work your way through Foundation 4 before starting Rings 1.

Rings 1 is where all of the iron cross training begins. Foundation 1-4 develops and or increase your muscular strength. In addition to help you develop the neuromuscular strength you need for the slanted iron cross (aka: Azaryan cross).

Here is a video where Albert Azaryan talks about the cross that is named after him.

Albert Azaryan: "Lord of the Rings"

Here is a video of Eduard Azaryan. The Azaryan cross is completed later in the routine. You will notice he rolls up into a standard iron cross. The Azaryan cross is completed toward the end of his routine. Once facing to the left and once to the right. Edward happens to roll up into support position and then lowers down into the Azaryan facing one direction and then presses back up to support before lowering back down to another Azaryan facing the other direction.

Azaryan Clips

Just FYI the cross facing the side is not the azarian he is talking about. We are talking about the azarian which is a roll to cross while keeping straight arms. It is a D in the code of points and is typically learned after having a good cross.

• Upvote 1

Jon Douglas

Just FYI the cross facing the side is not the azarian he is talking about. We are talking about the azarian which is a roll to cross while keeping straight arms. It is a D in the code of points and is typically learned after having a good cross.

IIRC that was called an Olympic cross back in the day, right?

Kind of disappointed that's no longer around, I think it's very elegant. I love the combination pull left, right, and 'centre' cross.

• Upvote 1

Daniel Burnham

IIRC that was called an Olympic cross back in the day, right?

Kind of disappointed that's no longer around, I think it's very elegant. I love the combination pull left, right, and 'centre' cross.

Yes.  I am not completely sure why it was taken out but I have heard that it resulted in a lot of injuries.  I've not seen anyone attempt one first hand before.

• Upvote 1

Alessandro Mainente

In my gym no azaryan work is approached by strongest guys until a solid 18-20 seconds cross is achieved.

• Upvote 3

Timothy Aiken

I'm with Coach on this. People always come in here like "yo I can do this", and as soon as someone asks for a video, poof! They're gone! I'd love to see a video :) I love seeing people progress on video. Can't happen if you don't set a baseline :)

Daniel Burnham

In my gym no azaryan work is approached by strongest guys until a solid 18-20 seconds cross is achieved.

Wow. That is quite a hold. I'd like to hear what coach thinks would be a reasonable cross time before moving on. I was thinking 10 seconds for mastery. Thoughbeing strong enough for more doesn't hurt

Coach Sommer

- As both Alex and Daniel have pointed out, the importance of mastering basic positions cannot be overstated.

- One of my athletes, JJ with the triple bodyweight deadlift on the first day and a rock solid maltese, was capable of pressing up from a bent arm prone position on the floor to a 30 sec straight body planche. And it was a calm easy effort for him; in fact he laughed and joked during most of the 30 seconds.

- It should also be noted that false grip forearm strength is enormously important to successful azarian work. This is an unsuspected aspect of azarian training that is often overlooked by the casual student.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Alessandro Mainente

For a new entry over the senior national italian team a 3-4 seconds cross and 12-15 str planche is just normal, while the elite level as morandi or coppolino can easily hold a cross for more then 45-50 seconds and a rings maltese for more then 35 seconds.one of the stronger all arounder in the national team can perform maltese, planche, inverted cross and a 27 seconds cross and he started the approach of azarian not more then 2-3 months ago.

• Upvote 1

• 4 months later...

Can any experienced members reply to this guy? He posted a video as was requested of him, and to my untrained eye, seems to have a decent cross.

• Upvote 1

Alessandro Mainente

Form it's good, nice turned out support position.

Btw decent cross or not decent cross the standard required for approaching the azarian were stated above.

• Upvote 1

• 1 year later...
Francesco Pudda

as morandi or coppolino can easily hold a cross for more then 45-50 seconds

really??? I remember the world record some year ago was about 22 seconds!

Alessandro Mainente

Consider that for elite level, you do not start azaryan if you cannot show 18-20 seconds of cross. this is a standard.

this ne in the video it is not the world record for sure, simply an elite gymnast has something else to do then take a video of a record.

• Upvote 1

Joshua Slocum

Your cross is looking good! For aesthetics, you should look up though :)

As others have mentioned, you should continue to develop your cross strength. 3 reps for cross pulls and a solid 10s for the hold would be a good goal to work towards. In the mean time, work on your false grip strength (e.g. false grip in an inverted hang, and eventually false grip in a back lever) and keep doing a bit of work on the Azarians with your wrists on the rings, too. 

Once your cross has developed a bit more,  start working Azarians with your wrists on the straps, and Azarians with a light spot. 

• Upvote 1