Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Do straight arms mean elbows locked?

Bryan Wheelock

Bryan Wheelock

I've noticed there is a big difference in the bicep tendon stress if I fully extend and lock my elbows vs having straight arms.

The difference in range of motion is maybe 2 or 3 degrees.

Locking my elbow feels like my elbows will dislocate.

Straight arm feel fine.

Are the two terms interchangeable?

• Upvote 1

Michaël Van den Berg

Straight arms = elbows locked.

It will take time to adjust to the stress. Please take care of the prerequisites before starting ring training and follow the progressions. Failing to do so is exactly why people who are physically strong from other athletic activities get injured all the time when they jump into GST. Straight arm strength training/elbow conditoning is virtually non-existent outside the realm of gymnastics.

• Upvote 2

Joshua Slocum

I've noticed there is a big difference in the bicep tendon stress if I fully extend and lock my elbows vs having straight arms.

The difference in range of motion is maybe 2 or 3 degrees.

Locking my elbow feels like my elbows will dislocate.

Straight arm feel fine.

Are the two terms interchangeable?

"Straight arms" means elbows locked. So if you have hyperextended elbows, "straight arms" will actually be slightly bent past straight. This is why proper joint, tendon and brachialis preparation are absolutely crucial for long-term success in ring strength training. 

• Upvote 1

ok, just to be clear, should the elbows be locked during circles and flairs?  that seems like it would be a lot of stress on the elbow, especially when bboys do circles and flairs on hard floors.

Daniel Burnham

ok, just to be clear, should the elbows be locked during circles and flairs? that seems like it would be a lot of stress on the elbow, especially when bboys do circles and flairs on hard floors.

Yes

• Upvote 1

ok.  thanks.

i once read on a bboy article that you should have tuck planche before doing flairs.

since i'm a beginner to F1 (i'm on PE1 for five elements and will progress to PE2 for two elements on the next microcycle), would it be a good idea to do circles with straight but not locked arms until i get to tuck planche in F2, as i assume that i am not physically prepared enough to do circles and flairs with locked arms at this point?  or should i just try to ease into doing it with correct form now?

what do you think?  

and i assume tumbling (like round offs/handsprings) also use locked arms?  sorry if it's a repetitive question.  i just want to make sure i completely understand.

thanks

A m

since i'm a beginner to F1 (i'm on PE1 for five elements and will progress to PE2 for two elements on the next microcycle), would it be a good idea to do circles with straight but not locked arms until i get to tuck planche in F2, as i assume that i am not physically prepared enough to do circles and flairs with locked arms at this point?  or should i just try to ease into doing it with correct form now?

When we say "straight arms" it means elbows locked, so what you're suggesting is still bent arms. If you're still on PE1, I think it's too early to worry about starting circles training