This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

HBP/PE16 Ratio between good/bad reps?

Started by Ravn, March 11, 2014 · 82 Replies · 2,828 Views

Mikkel Ravn

Update for @Alessandro Mainente; Now with a sideways view. 

 

Mats Trane

Nice Ravn! I know that you worked hard a long for these!

Alessandro Mainente

Hi Mikkel they still need to be refined, the major problem it is that you are loosing body tension, and this leads to some arch in the back. I'm not sure that it  a problem of core strength bu rather a problem of the tempo of the repetition. when you begin from the "hole" (i mean the point where you reach the headstand and you wait enough time to reduce to zero the stretch reflex) the movement it is much more harder. try to begin from handstand, lower down until you reach with the chin the floor and then immediately press up.

Not mentioned before but you need to improve the handstand and the shoulder mobility.

Mikkel Ravn
13 hours ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

Hi Mikkel they still need to be refined, the major problem it is that you are loosing body tension, and this leads to some arch in the back. I'm not sure that it  a problem of core strength bu rather a problem of the tempo of the repetition. when you begin from the "hole" (i mean the point where you reach the headstand and you wait enough time to reduce to zero the stretch reflex) the movement it is much more harder. try to begin from handstand, lower down until you reach with the chin the floor and then immediately press up.

Not mentioned before but you need to improve the handstand and the shoulder mobility.

Thanks for the feedback, I'll try to implement your cues. You're right about the mobility, I'm still working on the last type of dislocates, due to my Subluxation and shoulder reconstruction. Slowly getting better, though. 

Alessandro Mainente

Yes, be careful.

Leo Trinidad

Very nice work Ravn. I totally agree with Alessandro. Working on mobility deficits will greatly help. :)

Robert Davis
On 11/30/2016 at 5:45 AM, Mikkel Ravn said:

One more question:

Freestanding HeSPU is hard work for me, and I only feel completely recovered if I do them once a week. I can do a few reps on other days, but an intense HeSPU session will leave me quite tired, meaning that if I attempt a session too soon after the previous one, I get a much higher occurrence of failed reps (lack of strength, balancing problems), so that I feel like that workout was generally a failure. I don't get much soreness, however.

I think I'm going to structure my weekly approach like this:

Monday: SL, SLS

Tuesday: Animal walks, limbering, bouldering

Wednesday: MN (incl. J-curls) and Middle split stretch

Thursday: HBP (HeSPU), FL, sPL, RC + a bunch of the previous HBP elements for assistance & volume: Wall supported full-rom HSPU, Box HeSPU, Ring dips, PPP and pushups

Friday: Off

Saturday: H1, H2, Bouldering. Hi-rep HBP work, but not freestanding HeSPU.

Sunday: Movement + Kettlebell cardio

 

This is not optimal in the sense that I should probably be doing more Foundation elements per week, but on the other hand I'm very consistent with this schedule, and don't miss workouts.

So, to the question: For the technical work, would you prioritise doing free HeSPU twice a week, or:

Would it be better to do free HeSPU well rested once a week, with a lot of heavy-ish assistance work on the HeSPU day, and then also 8-10 rep work of previously mastered HBP elements on my H1 & H2 day to get some deltoid and tricep hypertrophy (a "pump-day"), which is reasonably easy to recover from? Then I get 5 days to recover and be ready for the next HeSPU session.

 

If you haven't already I would suggest adding the thoracic bridge stretch series on a light day. It looks like that is what you are missing. 

Mikkel Ravn

Interesting point, I'll look into it.