Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

So very confused - any advice?

Sayjin

Hey everyone,

I've had Coach Sommer's book since it first came out, but am just now finally just now getting into the application of what I've read in it. I've decided to jump in head first and have identified 3 movements to work towards excellence in:

1) L-sit PB

2) Front lever tuck

3) HeSPU - negative

4) Dips - XR

In the book, Coach Sommer recommends that most trainees start out with 3x3 or 3x5 for these exercises, but how does one determine the workset duration for static hold? Should I test and see how long I can maximally hold it and then divvy it up?

I.E. If I have a max 15sec L-sit, my workout for that exercise would be 7 sets lasting 7 seconds in duration.

I'm committed to training 4 days a week Mon/Tue & Fri/Sat using a steady state training cycle for 8 weeks and this what I've come up with so far:

Monday & Friday - Lsit PB and HeSPU negatives

Tuesday & Saturday - Front lever tucks and XR Dips

I have no idea if I set this up correctly or if the frequency is too much (which I doubt, but again I am a beginner to this type of training), so any advice would be more than appreciated.

Thanks,

- Roger

For static holds, your goal is to hold for a total 60 seconds. So take your maximum, divide by two, and that counts as one set. Using your example of 7 seconds per set, you would do 9 sets. 7 X 9 = 63.

I believe your workout is lacking. Reread chapter 10 in the book and first decide what type of training you want. Judging by the movements you've selected, you'd probably want to do integrated training. I just started my first steady state cycle 2 weeks ago, and I work towards planche, front lever, back lever and manna 4 times a week, and I pair it with the recommended fundamental bodyweight exercises (which I alternate during each work day).

Hey Farago,

Thanks for your helpful advice. I went back and re-read the chapter as well pieced together the great information that has already been given out in the "Getting Started" section of the forums. Mods, feel free to delete this thread since I think it may be in the wrong spot and I'd hate to have it stay and clutter up the board :)