Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Pain in the shoulder (front)

Matteo.Za

Hi everyone!
Last friday i worked out as scheduled without any pain, but the day after i started feeling an ache in my front deltoid during some mobility and pushing movements (like wearing a jacket taking the arm back).

I feel it at the start of the shoulder, like between the omerus and the clavicle in the fron part.
yesterday the pain was intense in said movements, today a bit less, especially after a warmup (im not training the arms).
perhaps what caused this was a last inverted row (elevated feet) with rings, i tried to pull up with my left arm to test the strength (with the right hand keeping the other ring assisting). i didnt feel any pain, but still...

another delicate exercise i practise is wall handstand push ups, but i worked progressively for months to reach it: from pike push ups to elevated p-push ups, from months of progressive negatives to 4 series of 2-3 wall handstand push ups without overdoing it. i think i used strict form, elbow not pointing out.

can it be a contracture?

for this week i will not do any arm exercise, maybe a push up for testing the status.

any tip/help?

thank you for your time :)

Douglas Wadle

Hard to say on these injury topics, Matteo.  I'd take it easy for a few days and see how it pans out. My guess is you just got some rotator cuff tendonitis, probably from the handstand pushups.  Hopefully it's minor and will improve quickly.  See a PT or doctor if it's persisting.  Exercises putting your shoulder into impingement position are tough on this area, and may occur insidiously.  I doubt the rows had anything to do with it, as they don't put your shoulder into that position.  The handstand one course is great for building up the shoulders if you would like to more formally proceed along this direction and decrease your likelihood of injury in the future.  cheers, mate.

Thank you for your answer, MT Nordic!
In the last days i tried some movements for the rotator cuff, but it didn't hurt.
I have to say that today the pain is gone completely (it's only morning though), actually after yesterday's warmup it got better exponentially.

I'll keep you up to date!

Alessandro Mainente

front of soulders usually is concerned with rotator cuff problem.

today the pain was/is completely gone. I said that the pain seemed to go away when i had a little warmup, but in that I did some shoulder's mobility and since then id went away.

Perhaps it was a nerve that went out of his path? I had similar pain with certain movements when some nerves got out of their way in other parts of the body when i played basketball, I don't know. I mean, i don't feel any ache anywhere, so it might have gone in its original channel

Christoph Pahl

Nerves going out  of their path??? Sounds a little bit like Bro science to me, but perhaps you can cite a medical paper.

It might be broscience, because i never checked the science behind it when they told me that the pain i was feeling was from a nerve out of its path, but after a proper massage it slided back (the last time happened when i was 12)

actually now that i check it is broscience, i fell in the same ignorant mistake as many other bros. :P

At this point i don't know, the pain went off quite instantly

Toni Laukkavaara

Start protracting with the moves, the pain will go off AND you will learn the right technique.. unless you need to do it arched xD