Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Wondering it the Foundations courses are for me

Carl Sanchez

Carl Sanchez

Hello, I am interested in taking the foundations courses, but I do not know if it is right for my needs. I don't have any real interest in being a gymnast, I just want to have a "Anywhere, anytime" strength routine. To that end, I'm only interested in the following goals: lever work on a chin-up bar, planche pushups and planche handstand work from the floor, L-sit moves on the floor, dragon flags, one arm-one leg pushups, and pistols (single leg squats). Do the foundation courses teach the progressions to those movements/exercises?

And can you train those progressions without any special equipment? I'm not above trying to make or buy a pair of parralletes, but I can't see attaching rings to my chin-up bar.

What is the program like? Is it just an E-book, or do I need regular access to the internet to do the program?

How many workouts are done per week? Do you train all the "lifts" in each workout, or do you devote each day to a particular skill?

Is it a bad or good idea to include some free weight work once a week? I do 2 martial arts training sessions a week- will there be enough recovery to do the foundations workouts and the martial arts workouts within a week?

I know these are a lot of questions, so I hope somebody can answer them all. Thank you.

The GB courses teaches all the moves you mentioned besides one arm pushups, but the courses goes further than the exercises you mentioned.  

Some exercises certainly needs to be done with equipment however many can be improvised.  

The program is an online course and online access is needed.

Exercises are done 3-5 times a week depending on your recovery rate.  Exercises are done in a split.

Including free weights negatives outweighs the benefits.  Martial art training sessions would be fine.

Connor Davies

Including free weights negatives outweighs the benefits.

Not sure I agree with that.  I think some people have had good results, but the general consensus is stick to bodyweight for all upper body strength.

OP, I have a question for you.  Would you rather be versatile with what you can do with your body, or versatile in where you can train it?

Chris Hansen

If you're looking for something that really does require nothing but some floor space and a pullup bar, Foundation won't really fit that. Most of it doesn't require much but there is some equipment you'll need in order to follow it as written.

Personally, I think it would be great if a minimal equipment option was released.

Carl Sanchez

OP, I have a question for you.  Would you rather be versatile with what you can do with your body, or versatile in where you can train it?

Basically, it's about having a great strength workout in my tiny apartment. Also, the trouble with free weight use is that strength comes and goes, and you need to be in a gym that is either pricey or crowded. Also, I simply think things like planche pushups and levers are the bees knees.

Connor Davies

Basically, it's about having a great strength workout in my tiny apartment.

Well Foundation doesn't require a lot of space, just equipment.  Things like 5lb dumbbells, a dowel, rings...  Nothing you couldn't work with.  Honestly I have more of the needed equipment at my house than they do at most gyms.  The stall bars will require some creativity, and I don't know what you'll do for rope climbs, but those are a long way off.

I will say this though: Foundation will get you where you want to go.  Some of the moves you want come up in F2, so...  Don't let the equipment requirements stop you.  It's not recommended, but you can always work some elements and not others.  Hey, it's your body, right?