Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Tension techniques

gymrob

Hi all,

I remember a while back when I read some of Pavel Tsatsoulines books: Naked Warrior and Power to the People there was a lot of mention about generating tension by using techniques such as pre-tensing before tackling the move/ weight, breathing techniques etc.

I am just wondering do such techniques have a place in gymnastics conditioning or is it simply already used when carrying out many positions. I know for example the maltese requires a lot of tension but I am talking about more the way of generating tension such as pre-tensing and holding the breath (not static holds- only basic strength moves eg dips)

Also, he has mentioned relaxation is key in flexibility training to allow the nervous system to relax to allow your muscles to lengthern. Does anyone have a lot of experience with this?

Would love to hear some thoughts.

Thanks.

Coach Sommer

I do not recommend increasing tension by holding the breath. I prefer for the athlete to learn to use maximal muscular contractions while also breathing shallowly for the simple reason that it is simply not possible to hold one's breath for an entire ring routine!

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer