Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Dont extend elbows?!

Jonas Hohmann Hohmann

Jonas Hohmann Hohmann

Hey,

well, my PT told me that you shouldnt extend your elbows when loaded, like in pushups, l-sits, handstands etc.

he told me that after i injured probably my bursa in my elbows ( due to some sort of support hold training on bars with elbows extended and wrists supinated as well as pronated) that this locking of elbows is a very unsafe position that i should avoid loaded, because all the force is really just on my ligaments (like bursa) and bones, not on my muscles that could easily absorb that..

how should i deal with that saying?

i dont thinl i could agree neither could probably you!

Jonas

Guest AlexanderE

It is tough on your ligaments, and you should be really careful with those holds unless you are an experienced strength trainer and have a solid strength base

- Your PT is both incorrect and correct.  

- In your current improperly prepared physical state you should not extend your elbows with those exercises which are clearly too advanced for you.

- The solution however is not to permanently avoid the position, but rather to properly and progressively strengthen your elbows and brachialis so that this is no longer a problem.

The GB Foundation series is expressly designed to address this issue.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Connor Davies

Yeah you can hurt yourself locking out on moves you're not prepared for.  I find this tends to happen when I'm working at the upper limit of what my muscles can handle, especially without a warmup.

I find working in a higher rep range helps protect the elbows.