Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Do wrist pushups work Finger Extensors?

Bryan Wheelock

Bryan Wheelock
We do a lot of grip work working the finger flexors, but almost no work with Finger Extensors.

The only thing I'm aware of that's incorporated with BtGB and Foundation are Wrist Pushups.

I can see a lot of activity in my forearm muscles as I extend my fingers, but I'm not sure if the forearm muscles control finger extension or if they work in conjunction with other muscles.

It seems it'd be a good idea some finger extensor work with Rubber bands or manual resistance.

Joshua Slocum

Yeah, I've added in some light work - I keep a band by my desk and do some extensions throughout the day.

Joshua Slocum

H1 does contain finger extension exercises

I believe you have confused extension with flexion. Fingertip pushups are a fantastic finger flexion exercise, but I haven't seen any extension exercises in H1. 

I believe you have confused extension with flexion. Fingertip pushups are a fantastic finger flexion exercise, but I haven't seen any extension exercises in H1. 

FKP is finger extension, I'm not talking about FTP.  FTP isn't finger flexion either, that's wrist flexion

Joshua Slocum

FKP is finger extension, I'm not talking about FTP

Not really. The fingers extend, yes, but the actuation comes from the wrist flexors. If it were a finger extensor exercise, your palms would remain on the floor while your fingers lifted up. 

What would be the best way to condition the thumbs for planche work? I keep running into thumb pain from it if I do anything on the floor and it doesn't seem to be a common issue.

Joshua Slocum

You're probably putting too much weight on your hands too quickly. The solution to that would be to build up more slowly from an easier progression.