Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

is it easier to do rope climbs on different rope brands?

Fred Mak

i have only climbed 2 ropes.

the first rope climb i did was after a 1.5 hour gymnastic practice.  i was tired, but i easily did a rope climb without my legs.

the second time i did a rope climb was at another gymnastics studio during the warm up.  i thought i was going to have it in the bag, due to my earlier experience.  i ended up struggling, and i had to use my feet.  I scraped up my feet pretty good.  i've tried the rope climb on other days at this second studio, and it's been challenging every time.

was this due to one rope brand being easier to climb than another?  

Possibly. Hemp and Manilla can both have a very positive grip, while nylon, PP and PE ropes are usually quite slippery.

• 2 weeks later...

this is pretty interesting.  i would assume that this implies that for our pulling exercises, like front levers and muscle ups, that in addition to strengthening our pulling muscles, grip training would also help a lot.

in fact, yesterday, i saw a coworker using a grip trainer from a company called "pro."  we started talking about different grippers.  and he said that using the gripper has helped him out with pull ups at the gym.