Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Post Surgery question

Edward Shapiro

Edward Shapiro

Hi guys,

Been reading lots about Gymnastic bodies and super excited to get started.  Here's the question: Had surgery on 1/7/14 to repair a torn tendon in my left elbow. (Chronic injury from years of rock climbing- had same surgery on right elbow 3 years ago as well.)  I've started PT and don't expect to be able to do full BW exercises for many months. (It is what it is I guess).  I'm wondering what would be the best exercises/conditioning to do now until I am able to even start the F1 program?  Are there exercises and/or routines contained in F1 that I can do that are helpful but don't require me to weight my left elbow joint? IS there a better program to use during this phase of my recovery? If recovery is like my last surgery, I expect to be cleared to do pullups and other body weight exercises by July/August.

I recognize that my elbow injuries are most likely due to being weak in many areas (and probably poor form) causing me to unduly stress my elbow joints while climbing and bouldering.  This time around I want to be super strong and fit so as to avoid these injuries ever happening again. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  Thx!!

Connor Davies

I recognize that my elbow injuries are most likely due to being weak in many areas (and probably poor form) causing me to unduly stress my elbow joints while climbing and bouldering.

It's not necessarily the intensity of the stress that is the problem, just that your tendons weren't strong enough.  I'm willing to be an iron cross would stress your elbows more....

I'd say stick with the PT for now and TAKE IT EASY.  You clearly didn't learn your lesson last time, but these things take a long time to heal.  But at least you've blown out both your elbows now, so at least there's symmetry.

Honestly I'd recommend F1 for when you're all healed up.  It's very holistic, it starts right at the beginning and there's lots of high volume to start with, really strengthens up those tendons.

But you've got a long way to go before then.  Relax.  Don't think about starting some other program you heard will be okay, because you'll probably still push back healing time and make things worse.

We've got a few people around here with more experience dealing with injuries, they should be able to help you out more.

• Upvote 2

Edward Shapiro

Really appreciate the response. I look forward to having strong connective tissue one day.  I better hurry up at my age (47).

First and foremost do not start upper body work before you are cleared, At that point F1 is the perfect place to start as it will gradually build your tendon strength back up, if followed properly.