Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

My gymnastics journey, newbie from Serbia

Mr.MJR

Hello, greetings from Serbia

My name is Marko, I am 17yo and first of all I want to apologize for my bad English :oops:

I trained gymnastics as I was 7yo till I was 10yo. After that I stopped, and I think that was biggest mistake in my life :(

I live in Serbia, and very small amount of people train gymnastics here, and we don't have lot of experts for gymnastic here. We have only 3 gymnastics gyms in whole country :| But I have that luck to live in town with one of them :)

I am verry committed person and hardworker, and I want to back on gymnastics stage with your help. I will do whatever you say, I will let my blood in gym, I will sleep in gym, I will do anything need to success. I know I am old for gymnastics, but I want to achieve maximum level I can.

I am doing bodybuilding for last two years, and I am enough strong for some dynamic movements. Also I am well made because I trained gymnastics when I was young. I am very agile and skilful. I think that left me from that young ages in gym :)

But I am very inflexible, and I don't have enough static strength for most of exercises. Also I am 80kg and 183cm and that is pretty much weight for gymnastics, and I don't have enough strength to support it.

So, I have access to one big gymnastics gym, I can practise day and night no limits :) I have lot of motivation and I am verry committed so I believe I will success. I just need your help with workout program design.

I am reading this forum already two weeks, but I just don't understand English so much, and there are so many exercises, I can't single out what is for me. I know that I need lot of streching work, and lot of isometric exercises also lot of FBE.

That is why I came here to ask you for help, so please help me to start my gymnastics journey :wink:

Just to mention, I already started doing some gymnastics in january because I am competing in gymnastics for my school. And my profesor coach us. She was gymnast sometime, and her husband was 6 time Serbia champion :) But thay are not experts for gymnastics because we don't have any school and faculty for that. My country is poor, and schools are so bad you just cant imagine that :( So they don't know how to train me, they just force me to do routine on every apparatus every training day :? without strength training. They just force me to do tehnics on apparatus for competition.

I know that is wrong, so I came here, on yours forum to get help from real experts ;)

Here are some my pics :)

My hand after training :lol:x5cjrk.jpg

Here is my school team: f03g44.jpg

We were first at school competition :) I am the guy at the right side end :)

And here is my gymnastics gym, I love it so much, want to live there :D

2u5rmnl.jpg

matthew.percussion

You are in a similar situation as I. Very dedicated. It's a good thing to have.

It's difficult for someone to build a routine for you without knowing your specific training goals, weaknesses, and strengths.

Your best bet is to look at other people's strength routine and use them as an outline. I will be updating mine in the Workout Logs section soon so you can look at that.

Aside from that, we're happy to have you on board, good luck.

-Matthew

@sasquatch

@matthew.percussion

Thank you guys. This is very nice forum, and I am very glad to be part of it ;)

Oh, I understand you matthew, that was really comprehensive what I asked. I will look at your routine and I will post some direct questions here.

Here are some first:

1.How should one gymnastics training look like? Is it first warming than streching, then strength work an finally routines on some apparatus or how? How much time to spend on which activity?

2.Is it good to train every day? I plan to do some streching at my home every day, and in gym to do strength and apparatus work. But I don't know which day to do which kind of strength :( In bodybuilding it is easy, you train 4 days a week, one day chests second day arms third day legs and fourth day shoulders and back and that's it. But how is it in gymnastics?

There are really so many gymnastics exercises, if you just explain me how to sort them(dynamic for which bodypart, static for which bodypart), then it will be much easier for me to pick up exercises for me.

matthew.percussion

I hardly ever work my legs, so that part of my routine is non existent(reason being, my legs get really heavy without working them very much).

When I go to the gym;

1. Warm-up(ie. Running)

2. Dynamic Stretches to lubricate the joints(ie. kicks, arm circles)

3. Passive stretching

4. Handstand Work

5. Strength

6. Routines and Skills

7. More Intense Stretching(PNF or sometimes active flexibility)

A lot of people will switch 5 and 6 around, it's mostly personal preference I think.

I do my static exercises 6 days a week.

Since the front lever, back lever, and planche are my main goals I do them before any other strength work. (I do two statics a day, every day except sunday)

For you FBEs you need a little bit of information about the different planes of movement to program well.

There are three planes of motion, pushing and pulling in front of you(push-ups and rows), pushing and pulling above your head(handstand push-ups and pull-ups), and pushing and pulling below your head(dips and curls).

I do one plane of motion each work day, and on a fourth work day I do ring strength routines.

So a basic example would be;

monday - push-ups and rows

tuesday - Pull-ups and handstand push-ups

Thursday - Ring strength routines

Friday - Dips and curls

There would also be lower body, abdominal, oblique, and back exercises in the routine. Statics come before FBEs(for me).

Hope this helps.

-Matthew

PS I have not yet updated my workout log. Been busy today.

Thanks for help man!!

I saw your workout log and your videos, you are good! I will study carefuly your and others logs and post more questions soon...

Novi Sad :mrgreen:

How is Getzo is he already doing malteses?

Yeah man, have you been here? :o

I think Gezo is not yet so strong. But I don't see him so often and usually just at the end of his workout when he does finishing streching.

But I see Dimitrije(if you know him too?) every day, we train in the same time. He kicks ass :D He is very good!

Novi Sad :mrgreen:

How is Getzo is he already doing malteses?

Yeah man, have you been here? :o

I think Gezo is not yet so strong. But I don't see him so often and usually just at the end of his workout when he does finishing streching.

But I see Dimitrije(if you know him too?) every day, we train in the same time. He kicks ass :D He is very good!

Yea I know him:D

Vlado has a good junior, very talented.

I was there couple of times. LAst time was last year just before new year. I think it was dkmt Kup????

I was there couple of times. LAst time was last year just before new year. I think it was dkmt Kup????

Hmm I don't know I started to train couple days after new year. Do you want me to send them your regards?

Hmm I don't know I started to train couple days after new year. Do you want me to send them your regards?

Yes send it please. Just say gregor from slovenia (ljubljana), they should know who am I.

• 8 months later...

Hello mates

I am back here, I read a lot and i Made my training program.Here it is:

Monday:

-first some shoulders and back warm up

-then FBE:

-TOPs Pulls

-pullups 3x5

-body levers 3x5, I do only negative part of movement (

)

-muscle ups 3x5

-Core FBE:

-Hanging leg lifts

-V-ups

-Windshield wipers

-then Static Exercises

-PB planche-flat tucked for now 8x8s

-front lever-flat tucked for now 8x8s

-back lever-flat tucked for now 8x8s

-iron cross 6x10s

-Then elements:

-PB swings

Wednesday:

-then FBE:

-TOPs Pulls

-pullups 3x5

)

-muscle ups 3x5

-XR rows elevated 3x5

-inverted chin ups(curls) 3x5

-then Static Exercises

-L-sits

-iron cross 6x10s

-Then elements:

-mushroom circles

Friday:

-then FBE:

-TOPs Pulls

-pullups 3x5

)

-muscle ups 3x5

-Core FBE:

-Hanging leg lifts

-V-ups

-Windshield wipers

-then Static Exercises

-iron cross 6x10s

-Then elements:

-PB swings

And I work at my physical class at Tuesday&Thursday, and at my home at Saturday&Sunday(Some static work: L sit, HS, PB manna stand,...)

What do you think? I have some questions:

1.Is this too much work? I can handle it, I am giving best of myself! but I don't know is it good for progress?

2.About static strength, is it good to work as much time as I can example: L-sit every day whenever I have time and HS every day couple times a day at wall in my room,... etc...?

3.How to breath at static exercises? Before exercise I take a deep breath and I hold my breath, bcs when I release my breath I can't hold static position any more, but I can't hold my breath that long :?

Thanks for your help!

• 2 weeks later...

You must learn to breathe between static holds. Otherwise you won't be able to progress.

I used to not breathe during handstands and 10 seconds was the most I could ever do.

Now that I'm relearning I can achieve a 35 second hold.

You just have to learn how to be tense but still be able to breathe. Try doing some easier variations like: wall handstands, tuck l-sits, frog stands and make sure that you breathe.

Hi Marko, I am not a gymnast at all, I am a karate coach, but I love and train gymnastics. I suggest that you define personal goals first. I dont know yours physical preparednes, but if you work very hard with hanging leg lifts, and windshield wipers, then your planche, FL and BL next will suffered, because you need strong core for that kind of exercise. If you want to do them (I presume), than move those exercises on the top when you are fresh.

Best of luck

(pozdrav iz Srbije)