Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Should heavier people train handstands more slowly?

Shia

Idk about you guys but im 190lb now (down from 198 in a month, pretty happy so far), but having damn near 200lb resting on my shoulders sure takes its toll

Do heavier trainees need longer rest and to take it more easy when practising handstand?

It entirely depends upon how strong/weak/mobile/stiff you are as you begin your handstand training.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

• Upvote 1

Bryan Wheelock

I do think being bigger makes improvement take longer.

I've been working on my handstand for about 1.5 years.

I'm  6ft 235 lbs,  almost twice as much as many competitive gymnasts.

At this size I think it's even more important to keep the core rigid and stay stacked because if you get out of position, the loads get too great to resist very quickly.

I've found doing Hollow Rocks before and between Handstands really helps.

My current best freestanding HS is 10s.

If you are really serious, check out H1.

It'll build a strong foundation for your HS and will make sure you don't overstress your body.

Being relatively a big guy (I'm about 82kg nowadays), I will say I believe progress tends to take longer, however I am very inflexible and not a fast learner at all. Also, while I don't believe there is any particular reason to train them more slowly than a smaller person, I will suggest being extra vigilant of wrist issues (as well as shoulder and elbow, however wrists are usually the first to appear) as not only will you be supporting more weight on them, the forces on them will be higher when you overbalance, etc.