Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

pommel horse and elbow pain

Alessandro Mainente

Alessandro Mainente

Hi to everyone, does anyone of you had experimented pain in the elbow during circles?

when i'm talking about elbow i'm referring about the inward part where the elbow is flexing. i feel the problem when i'm about at 2 o'clock (i move clockwise direction) and i'm preparing to move sideward then backward. the strange thin is that i do not feel pain during the normal strength element. bl, BARS, SARS, hs...nothing.

seems that as the weigth move sideward the upper body especially my lats push over my arm that is pronated.

probably i'm not doing a good warm up. 

there is a preferential way to warm up these sections?

This is due to the brachialis being too tight.  There are special therapies (stretches and massages) for treating this problem that I will share with you this summer in the hands-on environment of this summer's London GBS.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

• Upvote 2

Joseph Blazuk

Out of curiosity, what is the basis for the belief that so many elbow-related overuse or acute gymnastics injuries are based on brachialis dysfunction?  As far as I can tell, there are few (no) reputable medical sources that document brachialis pathology as a common gymnastics-related injury.

Out of curiosity, what is the basis for the belief that so many elbow-related overuse or acute gymnastics injuries are based on brachialis dysfunction?  As far as I can tell, there are few (no) reputable medical sources that document brachialis pathology as a common gymnastics-related injury.

It is not a belief; it is a fact.  The effects are both dramatic and immediate.   

When we included brachialis therapy; both the elbow and wrist issues we encountered during pommel horse training were reduced by nearly 90%.  Interestingly, this therapy was particularly effective in two athletes that had histories of long term, very painful elbow and wrist issues.

Whether or not the medical literature has kept pace with my practical results in the gym is not something that overly concerns me.  Over my decades of involvement at the national team level, I have learned that this is pretty much par for the course.  It may help to understand that the usual process is for world class coaches to figure out that something works within our competitive training environment and then the academics follow along behind us afterwards and try to figure out 'why' it works.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

• Upvote 5

interesting.  i also had pain doing mushroom circles and was advised (in the thread below) to work on my straight arm strength through foundations planche progressions.  i eventually bought foundations to counter the pain.

https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/topic/13690-elbows-hurt-after-working-on-mushroom-circles/

i'm not sure if the pain was in the inner or outer part of the elbow, though.  i didn't really pay attention to that.  

coach, besides brachialis stretches, do you feel that straight arm strength also helps to alleviate elbow pain while doing circles? 

thanks

Alessandro Mainente

This is due to the brachialis being too tight.  There are special therapies (stretches and massages) for treating this problem that I will share with you this summer in the hands-on environment of this summer's London GBS.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

This is fantastic. Meanwhile what do you suggest? take a break from ph training?

interesting.  i also had pain doing mushroom circles and was advised (in the thread below) to work on my straight arm strength through foundations planche progressions.  i eventually bought foundations to counter the pain.

https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/topic/13690-elbows-hurt-after-working-on-mushroom-circles/

i'm not sure if the pain was in the inner or outer part of the elbow, though.  i didn't really pay attention to that.  

coach, besides brachialis stretches, do you feel that straight arm strength also helps to alleviate elbow pain while doing circles? 

thanks

As a raw beginner, yes - your issues are almost certainly due a weakness in FSAS.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

• Upvote 1

This is fantastic. Meanwhile what do you suggest? take a break from ph training?

Yes, I would greatly reduce your PH training to the point where your discomfort training the event is only moderate.  This will help you to get by until I have a chance to work with you personally in London.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

• Upvote 2